X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DAW
    replied
    There is some advantage to rountinely U.S. mailing all checks (except for termination checks) and payment advises. It helps ensure that a current address is on file, it pretty much eliminates the special handling requests, and tends to greatly (and legally) increase participation in direct deposit. Also, if the company uses supervisors to hand checks out, they are not only wasting supervisor time (best case) but also greatly increases the chances of "ghost" employees, where the supervisor fails to tell the company when an employee terminates, fills out the timesheets, and cashes the pay checks made out to the terminated employee.

Leave a comment:

• Pattymd
    replied
    We actually ended up cutting WAY down on this when every time it happened, we gave the employee (we made the employee himself turn in the form) a direct deposit enrollment form. It became abundantly clear that this was critical when I managed the payroll operations for a international company who had employees taken hostage when Iraq invaded Kuwait.

Leave a comment:

• Morgana
    replied
    We dont do it because we have too many employees to mess with give this check to the wife, that check to the husband, that check to the son this week but not next week. It got to be a real pain and payroll instituted a policy that it could be mailed but would not be given out to anyone other than the employee.
    Thats why we did it.

Leave a comment:

• Pattymd
    replied
    Legally, no, the employer does not have to honor the document. However, as ScottB mentioned, if the signatures appear to match the employee's signature on other documents, I don't know why you wouldn't. I've managed very large payroll operations over the years, and we would do so.

If you're the employer, it's a good opportunity to push direct deposit, though. And if you're the employee, and the employer offers it, I strongly recommend enrolling; saves all this hassle.
    Last edited by Pattymd; 11-15-2007, 12:27 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ScottB
    replied
    I suspect that it would be difficult to show that an employer must honor such a document.

If the employee worked for me, though, and had not been fired, then why would I not honor it, if I thought it was genuine?

Leave a comment:

• Morgana
    replied
    We do not allow this.

Leave a comment:

• myers
    started a topic Designating Someone to Pick-up Your Paycheck Virginia

Designating Someone to Pick-up Your Paycheck Virginia

Hello,

An individual has designated, in writing, someone to pick-up their paycheck. Is the employer bound by this document?

I am a newbie on this formum and need an answer pretty quickly.

Thank you.
The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
Working...
X