X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Register Shortages

States: Georgia and Detroit

In both of these states, Is it legal to deduct register shortages from employees pay checks?

Detroit isn't a state.

Employers are only allowed to deduct what employees have authorized: insurance, social security, etc.
    I am not able to respond to private messages. Thanks!

Comment

Register Shortages

Michigan & Georgia

So even if the employee agree that they caused the shortage and sign a document approving the deduction, it is not legal to deduct any register shortages from employee paychecks nor have them reimburse out of pocket? I am inquiring because we are updating our handbook.

Comment

Originally posted by Jdoug View Post
        Michigan & Georgia

So even if the employee agree that they caused the shortage and sign a document approving the deduction, it is not legal to deduct any register shortages from employee paychecks nor have them reimburse out of pocket? I am inquiring because we are updating our handbook.
        If they are authorizing the deduction, there shouldn't be a problem. Someone with more knowledge for the specific states will hopefully chime in.
        Amateurs built the Ark, Professionals built the Titanic

Comment

Under federal law only, deductions without employee approval for cash shortages are legal as long as minimum wage is still paid. You need to read all of the rules discussed on this not very well written page.
          http://www.dol.gov/esa/regs/compliance/whd/whdfs16.htm

GA is generally considered to be a "just like federal" state, although I do not know as a fact that this is true on this issue.

MI is not a "just like federal" state. Patty has quoted the MI rules several times in the last week, or at least put their web pointer in her response.
          "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
          Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

Georgia law is silent on deductions from pay. So federal law would apply.

In Michigan, the deduction must be authorized in writing.
            I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
            Working...
            X