This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mandatory uniform deduction? Michigan

As an employer in MI, we wish to mandate that the field employees wear company uniforms (caps, t-shirts) daily. We are requiring that they pay for these (discounted amt) through payroll deduction on an as-need basis. Is this legal for us to require?

Employers can pretty much require any employee to wear anything the employer wants.

The deductions are mostly legal under federal law with certain restrictions.
    http://www.dol.gov/esa/regs/compliance/whd/whdfs16.htm

States can and sometimes do have their own laws on recoveries and what you propose is not legal in all states (CA for example). MI is not my state and I have no idea what MI law is on this subject. Hopefully someone else does.
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
    Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

Thanks DAW

Yes, I researched and found that under Fed law, it's fine as long as we don't impact minimum wage. Called MI DOL and got the response " The employee must sign an approval for the payroll deduction each time. But you cannot force them to sign this. However you can fire them at will if they don't comply." Sounds at odds..(I can't force you to comply, but I can fire you?) so I'm double checking here.

Comment

There is something called Employment At Will, which means that employers mostly do not need good reasons to legally terminate employees. Whether or not we are talking about uniforms, Employment At Will is in play.

Under federal law, uniform recoveries are mostly legal (subject to MW and OT) restrictions.

State law is a complicated since all states are different. I know zip about Michigan, but some states that require voluntary deduction agreements would not consider "sign this or I will fire you" to be "voluntary". Also, the general rule is to be careful with anything the government says over the phone, because they will probably not later stand behind their statement. It basically has to be in writing to count.
        "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
        Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X