This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paycheck with money missing

I recently was terminated from my last job and just recieved my paycheck. The paycheck is missing over 200$ in it. Is this legal? and what should I do about this? I don't owe any money to this employer. I worked a total of 35.5 hours on this particular week and only got paid for 6 hours????

Have you called them to ask what the problem is? Clerical errors do happen.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Originally posted by lem27 View Post
      I recently was terminated from my last job and just recieved my paycheck. The paycheck is missing over 200$ in it. Is this legal? and what should I do about this? I don't owe any money to this employer. I worked a total of 35.5 hours on this particular week and only got paid for 6 hours????
      Ditto to cbg.

You need to go back to the employer and ask for the details. What you need to do is be able to show what days you worked and for how long and have them show you when you were paid for each of those days.

You may think of a work week as being Monday through Friday, but a lot of companies don't set up work weeks that way and may end the work week on any day of the week. It is possible that you worked only one day during your last work week and have been paid for all other hours worked.

Get with the employer and try to figure it out and, if they have not paid you for all hours worked, you could bring that to their attention. If they insist that you have been paid in full (or won't pay you in full), then you can file a wage complaint with the State Department of Labor (in most states) or the US Department of Labor (if you work where the state agency won't enforce the laws, usually in the Southeast).
      Senior Professional in Human Resources and Certified Staffing Professional with over 30 years experience. Any advice provided is based upon experience and education, but does not constitute legal advice.

Comment

Reply to "Missing money in Paycheck"

The paycheck gives the pay period of one of the weeks I did work. I will most certainly contact my employer, but I really do think that this was done on purpose. If there is no good explanation for this, than obviously I should take her to small claims??

Comment

Originally posted by lem27 View Post
          The paycheck gives the pay period of one of the weeks I did work. I will most certainly contact my employer, but I really do think that this was done on purpose. If there is no good explanation for this, than obviously I should take her to small claims??
          Your options depend upon your state. Filing in small claims is a pain and takes time. If your state's Dept of Labor or equivalent enforces laws, go to them, if your employer has underpaid you and won't make good. Based upon your last post, I am not sure this is the case.
          Senior Professional in Human Resources and Certified Staffing Professional with over 30 years experience. Any advice provided is based upon experience and education, but does not constitute legal advice.

Comment

Too much taxes?

My co-workers and I have noticed over the past several mothes that our paychecks seem to be less than they should be. One of my coworkers went to her tax person and asked if she could find any error with the amount of taxes taken out of the check, she did. zshe said to talk to our bosses tax man. We tried more than once to get contact info from the boss, but he will not give us his phone number, e-mail, or anything. We feel like we are being cheated but don't know how to prove it. What do we do?

Comment

Dainster86, considering your question is barely related to the original post, it would have been better had you started your own thread.

However, if you want to check if your taxes are being calculated correctly, start here:
              http://www.paycheckcity.com/

If you have any pre-tax deductions, such as pre-tax insurance or 401K contributions, those must be taken into consideration also.

Who does the payroll? Can you talk to that person?
              Last edited by Pattymd; 02-26-2007, 05:01 AM.
              I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
              Working...
              X