This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• West Virginia Uniforms

I have been searching the internet for hours about the WV uniform law. I have found a couple of sites that state in WV if an employer requires a uniform, they are responsible for purchasing the uniform, but I can not find the direct law stating it. HELP PLEASE!!!!

What type of "uniform" are we talking about?
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

I am talking about required attire for work. A uniform that requires the company's logo and your name printed on it.

Comment

I know what a "uniform" is. I was asking because what some people think are "uniforms" do not meet the definition of "uniforms" for this purpose, because they are not restricted to the job; for example, black pants and a blue shirt would not be a "uniform" in this context. A logo'd shirt with your name on it likely would be a uniform, but plain black pants that you are required to wear with it are not.

Here is the federal requirement regarding uniforms. As you can see, although it does state that the employer should pay for the uniform attire, it also states that the employer doesn't have to. Only that, if the employer does require the employee to pay, and deducts the cost from paychecks, such deduction cannot bring the employee below minimum wage.
        http://www.dol.gov/esa/regs/compliance/whd/whdfs16.htm

West Virginia law is silent on this issue, so federal law applies.

So, the short answer is, yes they may require that you pay because the law does not prohibit it. The only caveat is related to paycheck deductions for the cost.
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

I see. But I found a couple of websites that state WV does have such law like this one

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...8/ai_111170580

It states
          "Although most states' uniform deduction laws simply reiterate the federal law, several states have additional provisions, such as prohibiting employers from making employees pay for required uniforms.

For example, California, the District of Columbia, Massachusetts, Montana, Nevada, Oregon, Vermont, Washington, West Virginia and Puerto Rico have provisions that could require employers to pay for all required uniforms and their maintenance. In Colorado and New Jersey, employers must provide required uniforms for certain industries and occupations free of charge to the employee. Illinois requires the employee's written consent for the employer to deduct for uniforms. Minnesota limits total uniform deductions to $50 for the length of a person's employment and requires the deduction to be refunded at termination."

Personally, I can not find the law that states this, thats why I needed help finding it.

Comment

Well, you're gonna have to look somewhere else, because here is the (apparently) entire West Virginia law regarding wage and hour and the word "uniform" appears nowhere in it.
            http://www.labor.state.wv.us/wage/laws.html

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
            Working...
            X