X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pattymd
    replied
    Originally posted by ScottB View Post
    Really? Patty, I have gotten calls from my office while out of state and spent well over 15 minutes trying to working them through whatever problem they created.

The work time is always compensable; what I meant was the on-call time when the employee was not handling a call.

Leave a comment:

• intermagic
    replied
    For the record, they do pay us if we have to call a client.

Leave a comment:

• ScottB
    replied
    Originally posted by Pattymd View Post
    If you can resolve the issue over the phone, I would surmise that the DOL would not see this time as compensable.
    Really? Patty, I have gotten calls from my office while out of state and spent well over 15 minutes trying to working them through whatever problem they created.

Leave a comment:

• intermagic
    replied
    Thank you so much for you replies. To further add I can only drive the Co. Car while on duty. When I'm on call they will let me drive the car to help speed up the "Helping of the client".

Thanks all. This is a site I could have used years ago.

Leave a comment:

• Pattymd
    replied
    If you can resolve the issue over the phone, I would surmise that the DOL would not see this time as compensable. However, if you need to be within 20 minutes of your work site so that you would need to show up there within 20 minutes of being called, my opinion would be that this would be enough to show that your personal activities are being restricted severely enough to require compensation for the time. Which is it, phone or personally go to the office?

Leave a comment:

• ScottB
    replied
    I am assuming you are a non-exempt employee, because exempt employees can be required to work without anything more than their usual weekly salary.

The time you are on call might be compensable if the employer is severely restricting your activities. Simply being available to respond without great restrictions on you probably would not qualify you to have your time on call paid. Even if it did, there is no requirement that you be paid at your regular rate of pay.

However, the time you spend working, which includes time on the phone with a client, must be paid.

Leave a comment:

• intermagic
    started a topic On Call Massachusetts

On Call Massachusetts

Hello and happy New Year.
    I have worked for this Co. for three years now. Last year they implemented On Call status. This dictates we be ready 24 hours (at one week interval's) a day and must respond within 20 min from Call to the main office (They will text or call me). I have received calls and talked to the client but did not have to go to the job. So I did not get paid.

Should I be getting paid to be on call? If I call back a client should I get paid? I have to ware a full uniform and drive there Co. Car.?

Tell me what you think.

intermagic
The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
Working...
X