This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Previous employer's access to my bank account (Direct Deposit) Florida

I worked for a company for a few months, and I signed all of the direct deposit forms. When I resigned at the end of October, they deposited and withdrew money a couple of times, until we were all square on pay, and back-pay. Here's my dilemma now:
    Recently, thanks to an incompetent payroll department, they have been depositing money into my bank account and withdrawing it again. I haven't worked for this company in over 2 months!
    I spoke to my bank about blocking their access to my bank account, but they said they can do nothing.
    How long after ending employment with a company are they still allowed access to a bank account? Also, can I call them up and tell them that they no longer have access?

Originally posted by paku6917 View Post
    can I call them up and tell them that they no longer have access?
    You can do that, but you might be better off opening a new account and putting all your money in that one (except for whatever you need to leave in to cover checks that have not yet cleared). Once your checks have cleared from the old account, close it.
    Senior Professional in Human Resources and Certified Staffing Professional with over 30 years experience. Any advice provided is based upon experience and education, but does not constitute legal advice.

Comment

Or, at least send a letter that you are revoking your direct deposit authorization effective immediately. Best payroll practice is to do that for terminations immediately, but some companies don't.
      I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Pattymd View Post
        Or, at least send a letter that you are revoking your direct deposit authorization effective immediately. Best payroll practice is to do that for terminations immediately, but some companies don't.
        Correct - and do it in WRITING - call is optional, but make it in writing.
        Any advice provided does not create an attorney-client relationship. This is a public forum and therefore no confidentiality is assured. Attorney Joel Grist does not enter into an attorney-client relationship without a written representation agreement.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X