Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

A 33% cut in hourly pay legal? Florida

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • A 33% cut in hourly pay legal? Florida

    I'm in Florida, and been with my company going on 4 years. I've been a part time salaried asst. manager for the past 2.5 years. The company is struggling and they cut my pay back by 33%, demoted me to an hourly position and then also cut how many days I'm working a month to where it ends up being a 50% cut in pay. They told me on 11/29 that it would begin 12/1. Then three days ago they also proceeded to tell me that I would not be getting a paycheck on the 15th as usual due to the fact that hourly employees have a paycheck held back. This means I will not get any paychecks in the entire month of December. I've never been written up or even spoken to in reference to poor performance. They have always adored me.

    Two questions: 1. Is this legal?

    2. Would I be eligible for unemployment to make up the loss of income? We can't even pay our bills now let alone Christmas.

    Thanks for any help,

  • #2
    So long as you are making at least minimum wage, the reduction in pay is legal.

    I have no idea what the unemployment folks would do, but applying is fairly easy and won't hurt you.
    Senior Professional in Human Resources and Certified Staffing Professional with over 30 years experience. Any advice provided is based upon experience and education, but does not constitute legal advice.


    • #3
      Thank you.


      The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.