This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minimum hour law in Massachusetts?

I was told by my brother when he worked for a retail chain (I think it may have been Best Buy) that he was required to be paid for 4hrs when he came to work for 1hr meetings. I've searched this forum and with Google, but can't nail down whether the law actually exists or not.

Is a MA employer required to pay 4hrs for any time worked, be it a meeting or showing up only not to work the full shift?

Thanks,
    -Chris

No, MA employers are not required to pay a minimum of four hours.

If he is only scheduled for one hour, he only has to be paid for one hour.

If he is scheduled for a certain number of hours and is sent home before he has worked the entire scheduled time, he is entitled to be paid either the number of hours he worked or three hours, whichever is more. I think that's what your brother was talking about, but he got it wrong.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Originally posted by cbg View Post
      No, MA employers are not required to pay a minimum of four hours.

If he is only scheduled for one hour, he only has to be paid for one hour.

If he is scheduled for a certain number of hours and is sent home before he has worked the entire scheduled time, he is entitled to be paid either the number of hours he worked or three hours, whichever is more. I think that's what your brother was talking about, but he got it wrong.
      Curious. I'm not sure where he got that information, but it's too bad that's not the case. Oh well, no big deal.

Thanks very much.

-Chris

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
      Working...
      X