This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working over 40 hours a week Iowa

Are instore commissioned sales people entitled to overtime pay? Can we be told that it is MANDATORY to work 50-60 hour weeks?

Mandatory overtime is allowed. Overtime pay is required if you work over 40 hours in a workweek.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Pattymd View Post
      Overtime pay is required if you work over 40 hours in a workweek.
      It is possible for inside sales folks to be exempt from overtime if over half their pay is from commissions and the base rate of pay is one and a half times minimum wage, as I recall.
      Senior Professional in Human Resources and Certified Staffing Professional with over 30 years experience. Any advice provided is based upon experience and education, but does not constitute legal advice.

Comment

Oops, I knew that.
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Scott or Patty,

Could you please tell me what your refering to when you state that Inside Sales can be considered exempt? Is it 29CFR779 Subpart B?

THANKS!

Comment

It's not Exempt as in an Exempt employee. It's (little e) exempt as in exempt from the overtime (only) provisions of the FLSA. Inside salespersons are, by the nature of the job, nonexempt.
            http://www.dol.gov/dol/allcfr/ESA/Ti...CFR779.410.htm

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
            Working...
            X