This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Salaried Exempt Employee during Co closing during week of XMAS Texas

I work for a privare service oriented company in Texas (corporate office) that has locations all over the country. I was told they are planning on closing certain locations of the company during the week of Christmas. I do not have enought leave built up and they told me since I will be performing no work that week, they will pay me for Christmas day but I will be docked for the remaining part of the week.
    I checked the DOL and 29CFR541.602 states "Exempt employees need not be paid for any work week in which they perform no work" but then it states An employee is not paid on a salary basis if deductions from the employee's predetermined compensation are mde for absences occasioned by the employer or by the operating requirements of the business. If the employee is ready and willing to work, deductions may not be made for time when work is not available." What the heck does that mean?

I told the HR Manager that she cannot dock me because I am ready and willing to work but she told me that since I will not be working at all that week they can. This seems unfair since the entire company is not closing, only the employees who do not generate any revenue are affected. Is this legal?

Also, since the next week is year end they are expecting me to put in extra hours (which I have no problem doing) but it seems wrong I have to put in extra work hours to catch up on work that was not done during the holiday closing in which I will be docked.

Any suggestions?

As an exempt employee, you do not have to be paid for any workweek in which you do not work at all.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
    Working...
    X