Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

vacation at non-profit organization California California

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • vacation at non-profit organization California California

    I'm a preschool teacher working at a non-profit organization who has accrued about 50 hrs worth of vacation time. I've requested vacation time but was denied due to incomplete lesson plans. Just recently my temporary teaching permit expired and will be demoted to teacher assistant, my hourly rate will decrease as well. Until I find another job, I have decided to take position because was informed in such a short notice. Question 1: can I be denied vacation time because of incomplete work even though I was never given any warnings and was only brought to my attention when requesting vacation, plus my assistants are responsible for the work too but they were not denied vacation. Question 2: after accepting teacher assistant position and vacation is granted should my vacation pay be depending on hrs accrued as teacher and that hourly rate or depending on lower hourly rate and new position?

  • #2
    #1. Yes, that is legal. The employer can deny vacation time; approval of requests is not part of the law. See Question #6 here:

    #2. Yes, it can be paid at the pay rate in effect at the time it is taken or paid out upon termination. There is nothing in the law requiring payment at the rate at which it was accrued and, thank goodness for that, because it would be an administrative nightmare.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.


    The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.