This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this legal??? New Jersey

ok i have a question before i go accusing the owner of the business i work for.. i noticed on my paystubs that i am getting shorted pay. say i worked 31 hours and 39 minutes and i get paid 9.00 an hour.. that = to $282.51. well instead of putting the hours i worked as 31 hours and 39 minutes it says i worked 30 hours and 99 minutes which adds up to $278.91 which is a difference of $3.60.. I went through every stub i have added everything and came up with 50 some dollars that i am owed. i dont know if this is legal or if im getting ripped off and who should i talk to about this????thank you srry its long but im confused

Originally posted by treecann View Post
    ok i have a question before i go accusing the owner of the business i work for.. i noticed on my paystubs that i am getting shorted pay. say i worked 31 hours and 39 minutes and i get paid 9.00 an hour.. that = to $282.51. well instead of putting the hours i worked as 31 hours and 39 minutes it says i worked 30 hours and 99 minutes which adds up to $278.91 which is a difference of $3.60.. I went through every stub i have added everything and came up with 50 some dollars that i am owed. i dont know if this is legal or if im getting ripped off and who should i talk to about this????thank you srry its long but im confused
    It is 1.50 for 10 minutes of pay so you would multiply 31.50x9 and then add the 1.50 to that total to get what you are owed. This is seriously why employers should round off time to the nearest quarter of an hour lol!

31.50x9.00=283.50
    1x1.50= 1.50
    --------------------
    285.00-give or take a dime or two lol! I don't have a calculator to figure it out precisely. If I am off, because I am tired, someone will let me know, but I think I am very very close.

Comment

30 hours and 99 minutes IS the same as 31 hours 39 minutes. That equates to 31.65 hours. 31.65 * $9.00 = $284.85. So, I agree that, though that's a stupid way to reflect your time on your paystub, you HAVE been underpaid and I have NO idea how they are coming to $278.91.

Put together a worksheet, paycheck by paycheck and do the calculation as above, then compare it to what your paystub shows. Take it to the payroll person and see what they say.

BTW, what kind of company doesn't convert 60 minutes or more to the equivalent hours?
      I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

I was confused, too, until I figured out how the OP came up with the numbers.

The company is not paying 30 hours and 99 minutes, which, at $9 per hour would be $284.85.

It is paying 30.99 hours, which comes to $278.91.

So now the question should be why the OP thinks he worked 2/3 of an hour more in a week than the company is paying him.
        Senior Professional in Human Resources and Certified Staffing Professional with over 30 years experience. Any advice provided is based upon experience and education, but does not constitute legal advice.

Comment

Ah, so THAT'S how. The company doesn't know how to convert minutes to 100ths of the hour. Dumb.

The OP stated he worked 31 hours 39 minutes, not 30 hours 59 minutes (which would approximate what 31.99 hours would be). I still agree that he has been underpaid.
          I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

I could see this happening with manual timecards (dumb payroll clerks, and all that).

Say that the employee wrote down start and stop times, then a daily total, like 5 hrs 29 minutes.

Someone then takes the completed, approved time cards, adds up hours (30) then adds minutes (99). Fails to convert 99 minutes into something useful and enters the 30.99 into the payroll system.

Dumb, dumb if that is what is happening and, of course, the OP would not be the only one suffering a pay shortage.

There could be other reasons why the hours don't match, particularly if it is an automated system. Employee arrives much too early and the system sets the start time not for the arrival time but for the scheduled start time.
            Senior Professional in Human Resources and Certified Staffing Professional with over 30 years experience. Any advice provided is based upon experience and education, but does not constitute legal advice.

Comment

thank you for helping me i talked to the owner and he explained everything to me it is fixed thank you again for taking the time out to help me understand!!!!

Comment

Wait!

what was the "Fix"?

Comment

Originally posted by 3929 View Post
                  Wait!

what was the "Fix"?
                  I'd like to know what caused the problem and how it has been fixed, too!

Comment

I hope he comes back and tells us lol!

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                    Working...
                    X