This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• payment for first 2 weeks Pennsylvania

My employer has recently told me the reason i wouldn't be getting any extra money is because they paid me for the first 2 weeks i worked there. according to them in corporate america most companies do not pay for the two weeks and employees usually work for free? Is this true? this is my first "real" job since college and i am not sure this is legal.If anyone could help that would be great

No, employees do not work for free, even during the first couple of weeks of work.

But I don't understand your problem -- you mentioned you would not be getting "extra money... because they paid me for the first 2 weeks i worked there."

Based on that, I assume you were paid something and (hopefully) the pay was minimum wage or more. So what is the problem?
    Senior Professional in Human Resources and Certified Staffing Professional with over 30 years experience. Any advice provided is based upon experience and education, but does not constitute legal advice.

Comment

Actually the deal is that due to the fact they can't afford to pay me for teh next month till they get some money they are owed, have told me to seek unemployment. They did offer to pay me for one day a week, i asked if there was any way to do 2 days...i told them unemployemnt is hard for me because it usually takes a month or so to kick in.....also since i am a salaried employee isn't there any way that one of the partners (who is wealthy) can cover my 2 paychecks that i will be missing because they can't afford to pay me?

In response to that is when they told me technically that since they paid me after the first 2 weeks of work when i started i shouldn't be owed money since most companies do NOT pay their employees anything those first 2 weeks.....

I have never heard of this?????????????

Comment

It is complete, total, and utter nonsense to say that most companies do not pay employees for the first two weeks of employment. It is ILLEGAL for employers to NOT pay employees for hours worked.

The reason you've never heard of it is that it's not true.
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

That's a bunch of hooey. And you immediately file a claim for unpaid wages with the state Dept. of Labor. You can do it online.
          http://www.dli.state.pa.us/landi/cwp/view.asp?a=142&q=201211&landiPNavCtr=|3876|#3880
          I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
          Working...
          X