Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from www.LaborLawCenter.com, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can empolyer ask you to fill up sick or vaction form if you clock in late? California

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can empolyer ask you to fill up sick or vaction form if you clock in late? California

I usually worked more that 8 hours per day and I stay late, so I will be late to work from time to time. If my empolyer ask me to fill up sick form just because I am late, is that legal? I heard that if you worked 4 hours and it consider worked for the day, is that true? Thanks.

Of course it is. The purpose of PTO (i.e. vacation) is to cover for time missed from work. If you are late, you have missed worked. Regardless of if you are exempt or non-exempt under FLSA, the employer may require you to apply PTO for hours missed. So if you worked only 4 hours, your boss may require you to record 4 hours PTO to make up the difference. However if you are exempt and no PTO exists and you work only a partial day, you may not be docked for the partial absence (with the exception of intermittant FMLA).

Comment

And dumb question, but why would you be late just because you worked late the day before? How late is late? Late is whatever the employer says it is. Especially without prior approval.
      I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Pattymd
        And dumb question, but why would you be late just because you worked late the day before? How late is late? Late is whatever the employer says it is. Especially without prior approval.
        Depends, there is 1 mins late or half an hour late. HR will ask you to fill up the form anyway. Besides, 1 more question, if company can ask me to file late clock in, and usually I have to work over time almost everyday(I have to con-call after normal working hour with other country co-workers), can I ask company to pay over-time?

Comment

The two are completely unrelated.
          I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
          Working...
          X