This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not giving a promised raise. Arizona Arkansas

I was recently offered another job. After giving notice at my current job, the owner came and offered a significant raise to me if I would stay. I opted to take the raise. After I had turned down the other job, they waited a full 2 days to tell me that I wouldn't even get as much as I'd been offered at the other job. I am getting a small raise, but not what was promised. Is this illegal or just bad manners?
    Last edited by the_eos; 09-14-2006, 03:29 PM.

Sounds like bad manners!

If you did not receive the promise in writing, you are pretty much out of luck.

As an aside it's not always a good idea to accept a counter-offer from your current employer. There are many articles on the topic. I'm sure you can find a few if you google "counter offer".

http://www.careerswithoutborders.com...fer.asp?Lang=5

Comment

You accepted what we in the staffing industry call a "counteroffer."

There is nothing illegal, unless there was a legal document requiring it, with the offer being less than what you were led to believe. You may have misunderstood or you may have been deceived, but good luck on taking it to court.

As a practical matter, most folks who take counteroffers are gone within six months. The pay is not really why you wanted to leave and the small increase won't keep you there.

The employer knows that and is just buying time to find a replacement.

Yes, I am a cynic.

Comes from almost 20 years in the recruiting world.
      Senior Professional in Human Resources and Certified Staffing Professional with over 30 years experience. Any advice provided is based upon experience and education, but does not constitute legal advice.

Comment

ScottB is right about the counter-offer. I'm not saying the same with happen to you; but statistics suggest that it will.

In college I did studies on this. I found out that money is not a motivating factor. It's only a factor if your pay is below the "perceived" rate for the job. I'm sure other factors contributed to your decision to leave. Have any of those factors been addressed, corrected or ignored? I assume they'll be ignored and as ScottB suggests you'll be looking for work before you know it.

Comment

ScottB, you're a cynic?
          I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Cynicism

Cynics are usually not disappointed.

The adage is that an optimist is one who believes we live in the best of all possible worlds.

A pessimist is one who believes the optimist is right.

As we used to say--Onward: Through the Fog!

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
            Working...
            X