Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.


This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts


    I am an Illinois employer and my company does not offer vacation pay. I have an employee who seems to think that I am required by law to offer vacation pay. Are there any Illinois laws that would require my company to offer vacation pay?

  • #2
    I am no expert on state laws aside from my own state (and it is difficult to keep up with them), but a quick google did not show anything that would indicate you must pay vacation. (if there are states that do, I would like to hear about them).

    If your employee insists that a law exists, have him show you the statute.

    Unless you are in a high turnover industry, your policy of not paying vacation makes your employees low hanging fruit, ripe for the picking by anyone with better benefits.

    Even if you are in a high turnover industry, having vacation for those meeting certain requirements will help lower that turnover, to the benefit of you, your employees and your customers.
    Senior Professional in Human Resources and Certified Staffing Professional with over 30 years experience. Any advice provided is based upon experience and education, but does not constitute legal advice.


    • #3
      No State or federal law requires a private sector employer to provide vacation time, whether paid or unpaid. Same goes for paid sick time, holidays, etc.

      If the employee you are referring to is exempt, please post back. That raises some other issues regarding the legal requirements for exempt employees if you pay them on a salaried basis.


      The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.