Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

Paid for 40hrs worked 45hrs-california California

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Paid for 40hrs worked 45hrs-california California

    I am a salaried manager in california. I am scheduled 45 hours every week. However when I get my check it states only 40 hours . is this legal?

  • #2
    Sounds like you are classified as exempt. If you are correctly classified as an exempt employee, then yes that is perfectly ok.

    Compare the executive exemption requirements to your job duties. If you have been misclassified, then file a claim with the DLSE.
    Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.


    • #3
      Payroll systems often require a set number of hours, with the equivalent hourly rate, even for salaried exempt employees, in order to "auto-pay" the employee. The standard is 2,080 hours per year, or 40 hours per week and is entered that way for accounting reasons (for example, to allocate your time off to a different general ledger account number). The hours on your pay stub, in this case, are irrelevant. Merely printing 40 hours on the stub does not invalidate your exemption.

      Besides, if you are properly classified as exempt, you were paid your salary. You weren't being paid for "40 hours", you were being paid for however many hours you worked to do your job.
      Last edited by Pattymd; 09-09-2006, 03:48 AM.
      I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.


      The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.