X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pattymd
    replied
    You can always contact the state Dept. of Labor to inquire about your specific situation. You didn't respond as to whether or not you are working under a Collective Bargaining Agreement; if so, go there first.

Leave a comment:

• cpssw3
    replied
    I just want my day off like everyone else

yes. We are all county employees and I actually work in excess of 80 hours because I work when the agency is closed....the state mandates that child protection is 24/7. even when were not "on call" we are the "on call" person's backup...which means I can't drink, can't go out of range and must be at the ready at a moments notice to assist that person...we have three 8 hour days in the office and on those days we are back up for the other 16...so in essence a straight 72hours

Leave a comment:

• Pattymd
    replied
    Generally speaking, yes, they can "take them away". Is your particular agency/bureau subject to county policy?

Leave a comment:

• cpssw3
    replied
    So even if we are offered X number of holidays per our Co. holiday policy they can take them back and decide the regular 40hr week staff can have holidays but on-call can't and there isn't any written policy stating this but there is county policy that we receive the standard holidays off. New Year, Martin Luther Kind, Easter etc.

Leave a comment:

• Pattymd
    replied
    Originally posted by robb71
    I would have guessed you were a Pespi woman!
    Actually, I'm a Bailey's and coffee woman.

Sorry for the thread hijack, OP.

Leave a comment:

• robb71
    replied
    I would have guessed you were a Pespi woman!

Leave a comment:

• Pattymd
    replied
    jinx, robb71, you owe me a coke. Here we go again!

Leave a comment:

• Pattymd
    replied
    If you are correctly classifed as exempt employees, you must get your guaranteed salary (of at least $455 per week), no matter how many or few hours you work (subject to limited exceptions which don't apply here). You are not legally entitled to anything more, including "holiday pay" or another day off, or anything else, unless you are covered by a union contract which requires it. And even then, it would be a violation of the contract, not of any law.

Leave a comment:

• robb71
    replied
    No law requires that holiday pay be offered. The answer lies within your own company's policy. You mention that you are exempt under FLSA. The requirement is that you must receive your normal salary for the week which you perform work (with a few rare exceptions). If on payday you receive your full salary, the requirement has been met by your employer.

I know you think this is unfair. I'd suggest speaking with HR to confirm your company's stance on this issue. At least you'd be better educated next time such matter should occur.

Leave a comment:

• cpssw3
    started a topic Holdiday Pay North Carolina

Holdiday Pay North Carolina

Hello,

Can anyone answer the question for me is this legal..I am an on-call SW for a county DSS. I work nights, weekends and holidays. Labor Day was mynormally scheduled day off... so in my mind it was not a holiday and I assumed that I would get to take another day off ( a day I am scheduled to work just like the regular staff). I was told no because I didn't work I took a holiday. In addition my co-worker who was scheduled to work actually got the day off so I consider that as taking the holiday... And the SW that did work had to work on his normally scheduled day off and they are not giving him his holiday and paid him straight time no time1/2...yes we are considered exempt employees but something about this just doesn't sound right ..............Please help me I can't get any sleep..
The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
Working...
X