X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Varying pay rates Minnesota

I have an employee who had a question I don't know the answer to:

We have supervisors who are earning a higher pay rate between $6.50/hour and $8.00/hour. However, these supervisors also work standard 'runner' shifts at a lower rate, usually the MN small company minimum wage of $5.25/hour. Can one employee work different shifts at different pay rates?

Thank you.

Certainly they can. The only issue is, if they work overtime, the overtime premium must be paid at what is often referred to as a "blended" rate of pay. If you need more information about that, please post back and I'll give you the link to the FLSA regulation.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

More info please

Thanks for the reply Patty. This employee is pressing because he's convinced that he should be getting the higher rate of pay for all shifts now. It would be helpful to have the FLSA provision to reference. Thank you.

Comment

There is no law that says he CAN be paid at two separate hourly rates; it's that there is no law that says he CAN'T be. And, there is no law that says he must be paid at the higher hourly rate for all hours worked; he won't be able to show you one. Again, only when he works overtime, is this an issue.

http://www.dol.gov/dol/allcfr/ESA/Ti...CFR778.115.htm

Here's how this works. Let's say he worked 30 hours at $5.25 and 20 hours at $8.00.

(30 * $5.25) + (20 * $8.00) = $317.50 (straight-time pay for all hours worked)
        $317.50 / 50 hours = $6.35 "regular rate of pay"
        $6.35 * 20 OT hrs * .5 (overtime premium) = $63.50
        Total pay due = $317.50 $63.50 = $381.00
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X