X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mileage reimbursement in Pennsylvania

I work for a small company in PA.

In the past when the courier was out of the office the staff would take over and do the office deliveries. We always got reimbursed for extra miles we put on our car. Because of the rise in gas prices the rate in reimbursement should increase.

We recently got a new office manager (she isn't new to the office but was promoted from within.) The bookkeeper questioned her on the reimbursement rate and the office manager said that she was never reimbursed in the past and that she needs to discuss this with the owner. In the past 2 days I have put 50 miles on my car, and would have never done this if I would have known I would not get reimbursed. The courier uses a truck paid for by the company when he goes out on deliveries, and we are expected to use our own cars.

Does anyone know if there is a law in PA that states mileage should be reimbursed? Like I said the company has done it every time in the past.

The only state that requires mileage reimbursement is California. No state requires that any reimbursement be increased when gas prices go up, though many employers did so voluntarily.

If you are not reimbursed for mileage that is legal; however you will be able to claim unreimbursed mileage on your income tax. All is not lost.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Unfortunately, all IS lost if the total of unreimbursed business expenses does not exceed 2% of Adjusted Gross Income. OP, see here:
      http://www.irs.gov/faqs/faq-kw227.html
      I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
      Working...
      X