This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting paychecks up to two months late California

I work for a college and since beginning my employment in April, myself and my friend who started at the same time keep receiving our pay checks one or two months late. For example, I started in April, the April pay period ended on May 12th and I was to receive my pay for that period on June 12th. After repeated calls I finally received that pay on July 14th. This has been a repeated problem for me and my friend. What can we do? Can we filea complaint? If so, where? Is this legal? Please help!!!

You can file a complaint with the CA DOL.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Thank you so much for your quick reply.

Comment

And, how is it that you are being paid after the fact, monthly? Are you exempt or nonexempt? Under a union contract? California law requires nonexempt employees to be paid no less frequently than semi-monthly within 7 days after the end of the pay period. And exempt employees may be paid monthly, but the check must be dated by the 26th of the current month for the full month's wages.

And, may I suggest that you re-register with a user name that is not your email address. Spam could be the least of your problems.
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

You might find the following websites of use.

http://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/FAQ_Paydays.htm

http://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/FAQ_WaitingTimePenalty.htm
          "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
          Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

Employee status

Hi, Thanks for your reply. I dont know how to re-register and get back here without using my email address... But I'll figure it out later today when I have more time. Anyway, Im not sure about my employment status. All that I know is that myself and my otehr co-workers (in this department) get paid once monthly. The timecards go in around the 14th and then you get paid the following month around the 12th. It seems weird but that's the way they've been doing it for years. As much as that sucks, the real problem is just that I dont get my paycheck. Each month there has been a "problem". I have to call the administration over and over again. They give me excuses about how there was a problem and someone didn't pull aquisitions from the right department (or whatever, who cares). They say they'll issue an emergency check. Then that wont happena dn I'll have to call and repeatedly and then they tell me, Oops! there was another problem. If I didnt keep calling them they would never even care. The EXACT same problem is occuring with a co-worker who started at the same time as I did.
            Thanks for your input.

Comment

As cbg advised at first, you can file a claim for late wages with the Division of Labor Standards Enforcement. I think they'd also be interested in the stated pay frequency issue.
              I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
              Working...
              X