This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Still no raise with promotion

I work in a small store in Michigan. In November of last year I was promoted to assistant manager with a pay raise. I still have not recieved my raise and have asked about it on many occasions. I am always getting a different excuse as to why I have not got my raise yet. Is there any thing I can do to get my raise? If I quit my job will I be able to collect unemployment until I find a new job? Do they have to backpay me for all the hours I have worked without my raise?

Unless you have a bona fide, enforceable contract specifying your rate of pay, you really have little, if any, legal recourse. Although a verbal "promise" can rise to the level of a contract, it's VERY rare.

If you quit for this reason, it is also unlikely you will receive unemployment benefits. Find a new job first, then quit.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

hmm

Originally posted by Pattymd
      Unless you have a bona fide, enforceable contract specifying your rate of pay, you really have little, if any, legal recourse. Although a verbal "promise" can rise to the level of a contract, it's VERY rare.

If you quit for this reason, it is also unlikely you will receive unemployment benefits. Find a new job first, then quit.
      My daughter works for an albertsons, and she was promoted to cashier from courtesy clerk, I expected an immediate raise, she didn't get one. I am assuming that she has to work this job and have the proper training for a certain amount of time before this raise comes into effect. Patty is right, they can say all they want, but without it being on paper, there is no proof of the raise promsed. I hope you get it!
      Last edited by turbowray; 07-23-2006, 04:57 AM.

Comment

The ONLY time, barring a bona fide, enforceable contract that says otherwise, that an employer is EVER required by law to give an employee a raise, is if the employee is working at exactly minimum wage, and minimum wage is raised by either your state legislature or an act of Congress.
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X