This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lost paycheck stop payment charge

Should the employee be charged by the employer if the payroll check got lost in mail and the employee demands a replacement check? Are there any California laws that require the employer to issue a payroll check replacement without charging the employee or that allow the employer to charge the employee the amount charged by the bank for the check cancellation?

California law generally states that the employee must be paid without incurring a fee to do so. My legal counsel when I was in management in California always advised against it. Our CA attorney should be along shortly and can confirm (or deny).

Does the employer not offer direct deposit?
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

No, they cannot make the employee pay for the replacement check, under these circumstances.
      Megan E. Ross, Esq.
      Law Offices of Michael Tracy
      http://www.gotovertime.com

Disclaimer: The above response is a general statement of the law and should not be relied upon as legal advice. It only assumes the facts that are stated in the message. The above response does not serve to form an attorney-client relationship.

Comment

Employee loses paycheck that was handed to her

What about paying the replacement fee for the check when the employee is handed the paycheck, signed acknowledgement of receipt of check and then loses the check herself?
        We have to pay approx $45 fee for replacement of one check.
        Also, when an employee loses a check, are we allowed to tell them the replacement check will come as a separate check on the following payday?
        We are in California.
        Last edited by childstown; 07-01-2006, 06:23 PM. Reason: give the state

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X