This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Union for municipal workers needs to be held accountable New York

I am a Shop Steward for municipal workers in NYC. My union has been neglecting its duties for years & I am trying to get them moving in the right direction. I have made verbal complaints to the union president & have been told that they have no intention of changing their ways. 2 months in a row I have made motions which were seconded at the meeting & neither were voted on. Minutes are not always taken at the meetings and when they are, they are not made available to the members. I know that I can not file a complaint with the NLRB, but is there a body which I can file a complaint with? Do I have any other recourse?

Originally posted by SiquePupi View Post
    I am a Shop Steward for municipal workers in NYC. My union has been neglecting its duties for years & I am trying to get them moving in the right direction. I have made verbal complaints to the union president & have been told that they have no intention of changing their ways. 2 months in a row I have made motions which were seconded at the meeting & neither were voted on. Minutes are not always taken at the meetings and when they are, they are not made available to the members. I know that I can not file a complaint with the NLRB, but is there a body which I can file a complaint with? Do I have any other recourse?

Go over their heads (to your national or international affiliate) if you feel that they are not doing their jobs. Everyone answers to somebody......

As far as the motions made a meetings goes, check your local by-laws and even your international constitution (using my unions terms - yours may differ). I know in our union if a motion is made and seconded it MUST be voted upon, unless the initiator of the motion withdraws the motion (and that person is the ONLY ONE who can withdraw it). This may (should) apply to your situation as it does in ours, but check it out before you "leap". This may will take a bit of your time, but your a steward so I assume you are used to that already.

The rules aren't the same in all cases (i'm private sector, it sounds like you are public sector), but I don't think the situations I commented on will differ (much) between the two....IMO.
    noiddodge
    Last edited by noiddodge; 03-01-2008, 03:12 PM.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
    Working...
    X