This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UFCW and youth employee

I have some questions regarding the labor rules in Colorado. My son is sixteen and was hired by (grocery store). He started in August and was employed about 20 miles away and hoping to get transfered to the store a few minutes away from our house. He did but has worked a total of 16 hours. He has since decided to concentrate on school and quit. Now a letter arrived from UFCW Local 7, demanding union dues and other fees in the amount of 217.00. To my knowledge he never signed union papers at his first location but did sign at the second. Now that the background is done below are my questions.

Can he sign the union papers without parent consent, since he is a minor?

If he did not fill out the paperwork at the first store, only at the second, can they charge him dues going all the way back to August at the first store?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by cbg; 11-12-2007, 07:57 AM.

I think you may of hit the nail on the head Bazuka. Check the laws for minors and contracts. I do believe that a minor cannot go into a contract without parental permission.

Does he have a copy of the paperwork he signed? If not, I would definately encourage him to always make copys of anything he puts his sig on thats official and put them in his CYA box. Be it from the goverment, a company, or a union. If he does, then look at the terms and conditions if there are any. I'm sure the fine print will tell you all you need to know.

Comment

I'd just ignore it, particularly if he did not sign the paperwork at the first location. I cannot envision even the UFCW being stupid enough to spend the thousands in legal costs to try to get the $217

Comment

Very nice Joe.. call his 16 year old son a deadbeat. Maybe later on tonight you can find some 90 year old grandmother on a limited pension that owes the union a couple hundred and have the union take her house. I bet that would cheer you up.

Comment

Bazuka

Joec makes a very valid point, it is very likely that this union will turn this over to a collection agency. Perhaps your son should just pay the $217 and consider this a valuable lesson on what unions are all about. It has nothing to do with helping people and all to do with the union helping themselves to peoples wallets.

The UFCW needs that $217 badly to pay their corrupt and overbloated union official salaries. Even back in 2003 there were local union presidents making $300k and one who made nearly $500k.

Here's a nice link which explains why Joec is probably right and why they need the money so badly. Tell your son he got off easy, pay the $217, find a good union free job and avoid all the union corruption, violence and greed.

http://www.reapinc.org/Briefing_Pape...oblem(BP5).htm
          staggerwingbeech
          Last edited by staggerwingbeech; 11-11-2007, 07:50 PM.

Comment

Joe and Beech, cut it out. I haven't deleted anything yet (except for the name of the store) but you're both teetering on the edge. If you want to fight, do it off line. Insulting each other does not help the poster.
            The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Cbg

Originally posted by cbg View Post
              Joe and Beech, cut it out. I haven't deleted anything yet (except for the name of the store) but you're both teetering on the edge. If you want to fight, do it off line. Insulting each other does not help the poster.
              CBG,
              I'd ask you to go back and review my posts on this thread. I understand you chastising Joe for calling me a "stupid mug", a "union buster" and "a ****" . He has a long history of verbal abuse and inappropriate language and other than the occasional threat no one including you seems to be able to control his anger and rude behavior.

My post was sarcastic but I did not use inappropriate language. If sarcasm is against the rules, 50% of the posts would be removed. So please tell me what the rules are here.

I do understand that Joe feels I have invaded his little union world with a dissenting opinion. Apparently the union response to one having a differing opinion is to threaten to "crack skulls".

Perhaps you could speak with the owner and create a union free room where the majority of American workers who chose not to associate themselves with unions could have a place to discuss their issues?

Were that to occur, I'd promise to stay off the union board. I suspect joec would be happy with that...

Comment

There's sarcasm and there's sarcasm. You can't expect that on a forum headed Union, that there will not be union advocates present.
                The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Lies!

Tell your son he got off easy, pay the $217, find a good union free job and avoid all the union corruption, violence and greed.
                  It is generally not a good idea to to lump all things into one category. If it wasn't for the IAFF, the OAPFF, and the IAFF local 251 which I was a member of I would not have any income right now. I was hurt at work, at 29 years old, I can never do the same job as before or any like it. At least I had a pension system that I could get a disability retirement(tax free)from. Plus when my doc says I can go back to whatever type of work I am allowed to, if I ever can, the pension will not stop!(no matter what BWC is paying) All THANKS to a UNION! I don't regret a dime of those dues ever, and never will!

Comment

How easily we seem to stray from the question within this subject.......If he was 16 at the time I find it hard to believe anything he signed could be "enforced" against him. I also question if you CAN join the UFCW (or any other union) at that age...I don't think so...but that statement is pure opinion on my part.......

If we get into another crap slinging contest like a few months ago we may all end up banned, so I will refrain....

Comment

Originally posted by cbg View Post
                      There's sarcasm and there's sarcasm. You can't expect that on a forum headed Union, that there will not be union advocates present.
                      I see. I assume that if I find commentary by union supporters on the HR Manager/employer section that it gives me license to be rude, curse at, and threaten union supporters since they should know that they will find HR people and managers there?

And yes...I understand that was sacastic.

I ask again...what are the rules. If sarcasm is unacceptable, I will certainly abide by the rules but I expect enforcement equally across the board. One thing I am sure of ...cursing and threats ARE against the rules. I guess that does not apply to the union supporters on this board?

Any thought to my suggestion to create a union free section so the majority of the workers of the US can have an area to share their thoughts?

Comment

This is the only forum that is union specific. But this is a public forum and the owners have taken the position that everyone is free to post their views. I seriously doubt that they would agree to an area where union members were prohibited from speaking.

As far as the rules go, I don't mind some mild sarcasm but I expect courtesy from ALL posters, union or non-union.

Comment

Cbg

Please read my post again and tell me where I suggested that union posters would be prohibited from posting on a union free section? Nowhere did I make that suggestion or even come close to it.

I have certainly make sacrastic comments in my posts but you may find sarcasm in at leat 50% of the posts here including yours . Feel free to review my posts and tell me if you can find where I called my favorite little union buddy a "****", "moron" "****" or any number of the usual comments he makes toward me and others.

You say that the owners have provided this board where one can express their views. Yet when one expresses a contrary view on the union board they are met with personal attacks, cursing and threats to "crack skulls".

The owners have provided a section where roughly 7% of the US workforce may post questions regarding unions. Since there seems to be no one who can control their behavior, is it not reasonable to provide a union free section where the rest of the 93% of the workforce may share their thoughts?

Comment

I don't make that decision. And you will notice that you were not the only one I spoke to with regards to courtesy.

If you want to ask the owners for a union-free area, go right ahead. But I suspect they will point to all the forums on this site that do not say Union in the heading and ask why they are not sufficient.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                            Working...
                            X