Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

Can my employer contest my filing for unemployment? Minnesota

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Can my employer contest my filing for unemployment? Minnesota

    I am currently out on FMLA but I have a feeling I will be fired in the near future after I return. My manager has been trying to build a case against me to get rid of me. I tried to discuss issues peacefully and was written up for insubordination despite having been respectful and calm. This is an MO they have adopted with many employees.

    If I were to get fired with, in their opinion, just cause, could they challenge my request for unemployment?

    Are there local employment consultants I could meet with to discuss?


  • #2
    They "can" contest you unemployment ins. request. However, the state makes the decision whether you qualify or not after you apply.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

    Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.


    • #3
      While you can not be legally fired because you took FMLA, you aren't "saved" by virtue of having taken it either. If your supervisor was not happy with your performance before your leave, the leave itself will not prevent your firing. It is up to the state to determine who gets benefits and either side may appeal. If you are fired for poor work performance, your chances of getting benefits are better than average.
      I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.


      The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.