SDI to UI California

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SDI to UI California

California employee of a small employer (~40 employees) became ill in January 2014, was hospitalized, and filed for California SDI. This was approved and she is receiving benefits. Her base period for benefits is Q4 (Oct-Dec) 2012. Her 2013 earnings were less. She receives no benefits from her employer (sick leave, vacation, health insurance, holiday pay, etc.) and they are small enough that FMLA doesn't apply. Employer has hired a permanent replacement so there's no job for her to return to when she's released from SDI (probably in July). There may be restrictions that would prevent her from performing her previous job anyway. So she will likely apply for UI at that time. Is there a way to retain the base period from her SDI filing and have a "smooth" transition from SDI to UI? Does the period that she received SDI impact the period she is eligible for UI?

Thanks.

The employee would need to apply separately for UI if appropriate. One does not auomatically follow the other. Each program has its own qualifying criteria as well.
    I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

She might want to go ahead & apply for UI when the time comes & see if she qualifies.......
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Thanks.

Let's assume that UI will be approved for this discussion (if it's not, none of this matters)...

She will have been off work, collecting DI for two or three of the UI base period quarters (the first 4 of the 5 completed quarters prior to the quarter in which UI was claimed), so has $0 earnings for those quarters. Would they use this definition of base period when she applies for UI or back up to the period preceding the DI? I seem to recall seeing somewhere that they would do that, but can't find it now and when I look on the EDD web site, I can't find any reference to such a provision.

Comment

The base period remains the same for all applicants.
          I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
          Working...
          X