Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

where can i find an answer to a question abotu COBRA? New York

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • where can i find an answer to a question abotu COBRA? New York

    HI. can anyone tell me where I can find an answer or post a question about COBRA ? i have a specific question.. will try here if ok i bet someone knows : husband quit job to take a new one. Weird but old company only covers up til the day he quit (8/12) and he starts new job on 8/19. new co will start his coverage on 9/01.

    If I recall, we can sign UP for COBRA through old employer and then sign up with new employer for 9/01. as long as we don't use the insurance for any reason we can cancel on 9/01 and then not have to pay... i think that is what the very last employer told us a few years back.

    I just don't want any lapses in coverage b/c he has a preexisting condition, and although I dont' relish paying the 900 for 19 days of coverage, better that than no coverage...

    any ideas? sorry if not cool to post here! thanks

  • #2
    You have 60 days to sign up for COBRA. Wait until the new coverage starts. If you have not needed the coverage during that period of time, then don't elect the COBRA. (That's just easier than signing up and then not paying.) If you do need it, you'll still be in plenty of time and COBRA is guaranteed retroactive to the cancellation so that there is no gap in coverage.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.


    The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.