unemployment for quiting job due to child care North Carolina

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• unemployment for quiting job due to child care North Carolina

Hi can you collect unemployment in NC if I get terminated from my job for missing to many days if I have to be out to take care of my 4 month old daughter. A garnishment was placed on my check and ive been calling and calling to try to work something out but they will not work with me at all, so with the garnishment being on my check i cannot afford to keep my child in daycare, i am not eligible for FMLA because my year is not until october, but the garnishment is causing financial hardship and unfortunatly with the amount they are taking I have no money left after bills to pay for child care anymore so i would have to stay home and take care of her.

Either this is not the same way you PM'd the sitution to me or I read it differently the second time. If you are fired for missing too many days due to child care issues, that may or may not qualify you for UI depending on the exact circumstances, as long as you are actively looking for work and are available to accept work if it is offered. But if you are staying home and not looking for work because you cannot afford childcare, you are unlikely to be approved for UI in any state.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Agree. If you quit your job because you lost child care or can no longer afford child care & to stay home to take care of your child/children, you most likely would not qualify for UI benefits.

You have to be ready, willing & able to work/looking for work in order to qualify for benefits.
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

The fact that you are not making enough for child care because of a garnishment is going to work against you as well since that is not a cause attributable to your employer. It is your own personal financial obligation which is causing ther problem. Keep in mind that the state would much rather see people working than collecting and what you get under unemployment is going to be less than you are making now. Depending upon what your garnishment is for, you could still end up having your unemployment check garnished. Either way, you still owe the debt. That isn't going away because you quit your job. I'd suggest a credit counseling service to help you manage the debt or rework the terms.
        I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Originally posted by ElleMD View Post
          I'd suggest a credit counseling service to help you manage the debt or rework the terms.
          Just as a word of caution - if you use a credit counseling service, be sure you use a "legitimate" one. Before using one, you might want to check them out with the BBB.
          Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
          Working...
          X