Long Shot UI Question Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long Shot UI Question Texas

I live and work in the state of Texas. I realize this is a long shot question, but needed to ask for the sake of planning.

I am considering quitting my job to become a stay-at-home mom with my special needs child. I would be resigning reluctantly as we seriously need the money; however, I am almost out of caregiver FMLA time and my leave does not start accruing back until the end of November. Additionally, my son has too many therapy appointments and we still need to add more therapy (and do in-home therapy and I also need to spend a lot of time in the kitchen cooking due to his strict dietary regime). I just cannot viably work an 8-5 job anymore with the amount of appointments that he needs. As a side note, we have no family in town to help take him to appointments and it would be cost prohibitive to hire a nanny to do the shuttling.

Soooo, knowing all of this, would I have any chance in hell in obtaining unemployment insurance for a time? I assume not since I would not be actively seeking employment and my termination would be voluntary. Any other insights that I may be missing?

Thank you in advance!
    M

Any other insights that I may be missing? Nope. You have it exactly right. You will not be eligible for UC benefits.

Comment

Concur--

Unemployment benefits are for those who find themselves unemployed through no fault of their own, and for those who resign for good cause connected with the work. Both these conditions require a concerted effort to obtain employment. These don't apply to the scenario you describe.

I'd say no chance in hell or Texas.

Comment

Actually -

According to the TWC site, this is precisely one of those situations, at least in Texas, where it may be possible to quit and get benefits. See attached link:

http://www.twc.state.tx.us/ui/bnfts/claimant1.html

It cannot hurt to apply. The worst they can say is no.
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Have you checked to see if your child qualifies for full time care due to disability? I don't know much about it, but I know of a mom who gets paid either by the county or social security to take care of her disabled son. You might want to look into it.
          I am not an attorney, and don't play one on TV. Any information given is a description only and should be verified by your attorney.

Comment

The TWC also says this in link above:

Examples of medical reasons are quitting on your doctor's advice, or quitting to provide care for a minor child who has a medically verifiable illness if there is no alternative care provider, or quitting to provide care for a terminally ill spouse if there is no alternative care provider. (Note: To receive benefits, you must meet the ongoing availability requirements detailed below.)****

Ongoing availability and work search requirements

During each week you claim benefits, you must:

Make an active search for full-time work, unless TWC exempts you from this requirement
            Be physically able to work
            Be available for full-time work
            Apply for and accept suitable work
            Be registered for work search online at WorkInTexas.com, (select logon as job seeker) or with the nearest Workforce Solutions office. Find a list of public workforce offices (PDF) in your state where you can register for work search. Many states allow you to register online.
            Call TWC, or call or report to a Workforce Solutions office, as instructed

It seems OP wants to be a stay at home Mom.
            Betty3
            Last edited by Betty3; 07-18-2012, 10:48 AM.
            Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Originally posted by cbg View Post
              Actually -

According to the TWC site, this is precisely one of those situations, at least in Texas, where it may be possible to quit and get benefits. See attached link:

http://www.twc.state.tx.us/ui/bnfts/claimant1.html

It cannot hurt to apply. The worst they can say is no.
              Absolutely it can't hurt. There's no penalty for trying. And, I've been surprised by TWC determinations before. (I'd be surprised if this one flies)

Comment

I would be surprised if it flies also but it never hurts to apply - all they can do is say no/deny you.
                Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

I think there is a difference between "I want to be a stay at home mom" and "I have to become a stay at home mom because of the medical needs of my child". The second seems to be covered in the link I posted. It's not a sure thing, but I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility, either.
                  The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

The link still says: Examples of medical reasons are quitting on your doctor's advice, or quitting to provide care for a minor child who has a medically verifiable illness if there is no alternative care provider, or quitting to provide care for a terminally ill spouse if there is no alternative care provider. (Note: To receive benefits, you must meet the ongoing availability requirements detailed below.)

She is still staying at home & wouldn't meet the availability requirements even if she is staying home to meet the medical needs of her child.

However, I do agree that she should apply - just don't think the chances of receiving it are that great - never know though.

Comment

I would recommend that you apply

I would recommend that you apply for unemployment. The only condition is that the TWC states is that you be looking for a new opportunity and be available for interviews. Many of the clients I work for do allow for both Part time work and Work from Home. I don't know what your skill sets are, but I would apply and if accepted for unemployment insurance payments, do an active job search for a WFH or part time position that could accomodate your limited schedule.

(deleted by moderator)

Good luck.
                      ElleMD
                      Last edited by ElleMD; 07-24-2012, 02:38 PM. Reason: advertising

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                      Working...
                      X