This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unemployment Denied - New Jersey

As anyone living in New Jersey knows, it has gotten increasingly out of control with property taxes and the overall cost of living. My house recently went in to foreclosure so I began to look for a new place to rent. I was turned down time after time due to my terrible credit and/or restriction on pets. My family and I were on the verge of being homeless when our friend in another state offered to let us stay with her for a few months, providing we assist with utilities and such.
    Seeing as how my options were limited and time was a factor, I agreed. I voluntarily left my job of almost 20 years, with an explanation. I completed my two weeks notice and was coded as rehire-able and HR stated they would not fight the unemployment process, which they have not.

I was declined my benefits. I appealed it and was once again declined. I have re-appealed.

Thoughts?

Seems like the only way to have won my benefits would have been to become homeless first, which would cause me to eventually lose my job, and THEN I'd be able to collect?

Frightening.

You don't get UI when you quit your job. UI is not based on need.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

I understand that. But given the circumstances that were beyond my control, I thought there could be an exception. It's not like I quit for no reason. 20 years with a company and never once have I applied for UI. We should be entitled to a refund if we never use that money. *insert track laughter*

The funny thing is, as my job as a Loss Prevention Manager, I used to apprehend employees for stealing cash and/or merchandise. I would press charges against them, yet they were still able to collect UI, with a simple slap to the wrist - they were penalized the first 2 weeks after being fired.

Yeah - where's the justice in that?

Comment

Unemployment is not a needs based program. They do not make exceptions based on need. If your employment ends for a reason that qualifies you for unemployment, you will get it even if you won the lottery the day before. If your employment ends for a reason that disqualifies you for unemployment, you will not get unemployment even if you can show proof that you are living in a cardboard box in the snow. It is not welfare or an income replacement program; it is insurance that you get ONLY if you qualify.
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

So I would have been better off stealing from the company huh?
          Nice. Gotta love the irony.
          Last edited by Ferocite; 08-03-2010, 03:54 PM. Reason: Typos

Comment

Yeah. Frustrating, isn't it?

I'm not unsympathetic, and of course you should appeal. But I'm not optimistic as to your chances.
            The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

It seems you were denied, appealed & was denied again & have now re-appealed. You'll just have to wait & see what is decided but as noted, your chances are not good since you quit.
              Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

20 years with a company and never once have I applied for UI. We should be entitled to a refund if we never use that money. *insert track laughter*
                ah...you are not due any refund as, one, UI is unemployment "insurance''. Just like your auto/home/life. And SSA for that matter. There are a number of programs where you pay a premium or 'tax' contribution...none of those are like a bank/savings account. SSA included, even though GWBush tried to tell us it's "your money".

TWO... Employers pay the premiums for UI coverage, not the employee, so even IF there were a process to pay refunds, you wouldn't see one anyway...you didn't pay into the system. Don't have a 'track' so how about "LOL"...

Comment

Actually, NJ is one of the few states where employees also contribute to unemployment insurance, a mere .5% of subject wages up to limit.

You still don't get a "refund", though. Just like employers don't get a "refund".
                  I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

It's just like you pay for car ins. but you don't get a refund if you don't have
                    an accident or use the ins. or like homeowners ins - you don't get a refund if
                    you aren't robbed or your house doesn't burn down, etc. (if you don't use it)

Comment

The refund comment I made was a joke, however, some auto insurance companies offer "reward/refund" check every six months or so, if you've had no accidents.

Comment

Seems like the only way to have won my benefits would have been to become homeless first, which would cause me to eventually lose my job, and THEN I'd be able to collect?

Frightening.
                        There is nothing wrong with a little levity... and generally appreciated... however, the situation you find yourself in...possibly calls for an extra dose of the wry humor... none the less... it's still, "frightening".

Good luck in your job search.

Comment

Originally posted by Ferocite View Post
                          The refund comment I made was a joke, however, some auto insurance companies offer "reward/refund" check every six months or so, if you've had no accidents.
                          Ok, that is true - some do give a "reward" check if no claims during a certain
                          period of time.

However, the ones that do are not required to by law.
                          Last edited by Betty3; 08-09-2010, 12:03 PM.

Comment

I want that disappearing deductible thing. If I'd had that for the past 20 years, my negative deductible could have paid my premiums.
                            I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                            Working...
                            X