This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FL: Partial Unemployment? Do I Qualify? Florida

I work a Post Office as a Rural Carrier Associate aka a sub. I had my own auxiliary route but due to low mail volume they dispersed it to the regular rural carrier's routes. So now I am only getting work on Saturdays totaling 8 hours a week. I was getting 25-30 hours before this happened, Am I intitled to partial unemployment? When I was hired I was only guaranteed one day of work a week so I didnt know if this meant I could not collect unemployment now? Thanks for the help!
    Last edited by David12010860; 07-14-2009, 02:33 PM.

Only the state can tell you, but you should always file. You have nothing to lose by filing. If you had been working the 25-30 hours for a while, I would think you'd have a better chance.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Pattymd View Post
      Only the state can tell you, but you should always file. You have nothing to lose by filing. If you had been working the 25-30 hours for a while, I would think you'd have a better chance.
      I have been working the route for a little over a year now. Do you think thats long enough? Im only 22 and am in school full time to get a better job because the post office isnt looking like a good choice anymore. I could use the extra money until I find another part time job. Thanks

Comment

All I can say is file.
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

David, no one here works for the Florida UI office and we don't know how much you have in the way of contributions. We can't begin to guess if it's enough. All we can tell you to do is file.
          The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Originally posted by Pattymd View Post
            All I can say is file.
            One more thing. Im still working my 25-30 hour week until friday. Starting Saturday will be the start of the 1 day work week. Should I wait to file or start filing now?

Comment

You have to wait. Plus, there is a one-week waiting period after you file the initial claim before you could actually receive benefits.

Comment

ok when do you recommend I file. Sorry for the 20 questions. Ive just never done this before!

Comment

The Monday after your hours change.
                  The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

You noted you are currently in school full time to get a better job. In most (if not all states), you have to be ready, willing & able to accept work offered. If you spend too much time in school that could interfer with your job search or the hrs. you can work. However, you can certainly go ahead & apply & see what the state decides.
                    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                    Working...
                    X