This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Separation Pay and State unemployment benefits? Massachusetts

I'm from Massachusetts and I was laid off on 1/20/09. My official separation date from my employer was 1/30/09. Employer is giving me additional 4 weeks of separation pay, 2/27/08 will be the last separation pay. Can I file and receive Massachusetts unemployment benefits together at the same time with the 4 weeks of separation pay from my employer? I also signed and notarized the "General Release" form that was given to me by my employer when I was laid off. Is it true that as long as I signed this form, I'm able to receive state unemployment benefits together with the separation pay?
    Last edited by cal1nu; 02-01-2009, 09:42 PM.

This is what Ma. says about severance pay & unemployment ins.

Q. I am currently collecting severance pay. Can I collect Unemployment Insurance at the same time?
    A. In most cases you cannot collect severance pay and UI benefits for the same weeks. If you are disqualified from receiving UI benefits because of severance pay, your benefit year will be extended for the number of weeks for which you received severance pay. If your employer required you to sign a “Release of Claims” in order for you to receive your severance pay, you may be able to receive Unemployment Insurance benefits for the same weeks you receive severance pay.

Contact your unemployment ins. office.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Originally posted by Betty3 View Post
      This is what Ma. says about severance pay & unemployment ins.

Q. I am currently collecting severance pay. Can I collect Unemployment Insurance at the same time?
      A. In most cases you cannot collect severance pay and UI benefits for the same weeks. If you are disqualified from receiving UI benefits because of severance pay, your benefit year will be extended for the number of weeks for which you received severance pay. If your employer required you to sign a “Release of Claims” in order for you to receive your severance pay, you may be able to receive Unemployment Insurance benefits for the same weeks you receive severance pay.

Contact your unemployment ins. office.
      What is “Release of Claims”? Is this the same as the "General Release" form I signed and notarized?
      Last edited by cal1nu; 02-01-2009, 09:43 PM.

Comment

Yes, it should be - it's the standard release that companys have the employee sign when giving severance - that they won't make a claim against the co. & so on. I assume that is more or less what your general release form says.
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Is separation pay the same as severance pay? What is the difference between separation and severance pay? I also received a document from employer showing I am allowed to get SUB payments. Can I file and get separation pay, state unemployment benefits, and SUB payments all at the same time?

Are there any advantages or disadvantages to withhold the federal and state taxes on my state unemployment benefits payments?
          Last edited by cal1nu; 02-05-2009, 01:42 PM.

Comment

Seperation pay, and severence pay are one in the same...

As to receiving those payments and UI benefits at the same time....that has been answered...No
            A. In most cases you cannot collect severance pay and UI benefits for the same weeks.
            Are there any advantages or disadvantages to withhold the federal and state taxes on my state unemployment benefits payments?
            Advantage to not having the taxes withheld...you have more of the money to spend now...

Advantage of having the taxes withheld...you don't have to come up the tax money when due...

Check with your tax advisor on how you should handle the deductions of your taxes from these benefits.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
            Working...
            X