This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 18 yr male host being harrassed by 40 yr waitress

I live and work in mass. I just recently began a job as a host. I love the job, the money is ok, but i must work alot of hrs considerin im a sr in highschool. Well, There is this one waitress that has it out for me. On my first night alone as host i accidently skipped seating her(just once). She barked at me and said i didnt know what i was doing. This made me feel inferior. Later that night she sarchastically asked me what was taking so long for me to wipe off her table(part of my job is to help bus). During this time I never thought once of talking to the manager, because i am new, and thought i could handle her crap.

After that night i told one of the other hosts what she said and did. That host informed me that she was suspended from work (4-5 months earlier)for flipping out on a new host who forgot to sit her. i still had absalutley no urge to tell the manager or make a deal out of it. Im not one of those people, i just want to do my job and not worry about her.

This all changed tonight..... This lady is very crafty and she pulls peoples strings so she can get what she wants. She is also bi polar. Well, on with it, i was bussing tables tonight. I bus like a mad man, to make tips, and to get people seated. At the end of the night i needed to wipe off my host desk. There were no other rags around except 1. I took the rag off the table and the second i touched it this lady yelled at me. She barked"thats my rag, what are you doing!". I put it back on the table and was very embarrased so i walked away. As i did this she says,"I cant beleive this kid....unbelievable!" I just walked away and did not think of it as a huge deal, I'm 18 and I've had adults yell at me before.

Everything was ok untill the manager came up to me. She told me that * would not be tipping me out tonight because she felt that i did not help her bus tables. Also she said that ***** said i tried to steal that RAG from her so she couldnt bus her own table.

When i heard this I was still calm and just wanted to make things right and settle it in a proffesional manner. So when she left i very nicely said goodnight to her(while i was at my host desk) she didnt even turn her head she just kept walking...........

After coming home and telling my mother about the situation she feels that pressing harrasment may have to be a option in the very near future. I want to hear what you guys have to say though. i want my job and I want to be left alone and able to work without this lady making life difficult.

Keep a record of what happens when by whom. Then make it a point to disclose this with your super and ask that it stop. If it either doesn't stop or get's worse, then i suggest you file a complaint with the state DoL.
    I don't believe what I write, and neither should you. Information furnished to you is for debate purposes only, be sure to verify with your own research.
    Keep in mind that the information provided may not be worth any more than either a politician's promise or what you paid for it (nothing).
    I also may not have been either sane or sober when I wrote it down.
    Don't worry, be happy.

http://www.rcfp.org/taping/index.html is a good resource!

Comment

What you describe is not illegal harassment. It is not illegal to be a jerk.

Jack's suggestion is correct with regards to the unpaid tips.
      The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

And do your best to get out of the restaraunt business as fast as you can. I've held quite a few jobs in different industries and the strangest place I worked was a restaraunt/lounge back when I was 16.

Comment

Harassment is a big issue. I am 20 years old and no one has the right to talk to me in any improper way (that include yelling or bad language). You do not need to tolerate these actions. I first advice you to let her now she has no right to yell at you and if she continues you will report it as harassment. Most people may stop. Some get madder but then you are drawing the line. Next if she does not stop report it. You should always sound professional when you talk to your boss. Always talk like you are trying to fix a problem. Do not sound like you got it against her and want to ponish her. You should always give an impression that all you want is to have a better team that can respect each other. I work for a bank that gives great training, yearly, on how to handle this types of situations. You want to have another worker that you trust as witness when you talk to her(to support your story). You propebly want to do a one-on-one with your boss(but still let a friend/co-worker know of all the conversation you have with you boss also.) This is the best advice I can give you.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
          Working...
          X