This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• potential harassment ? Michigan

I am a waitress and one day a man came up to me and told me that a server on first shift told him to come to me I am probably the one he was looking for.
    When he explained that he was looking to get a massage from me I told him that I do not do massages, but I could bring him coffee or soda.
    I went immediately to my supervisors and told them about the strange encounter. The next day when I went in I went to the girl who told him to come to me and she loudly said in the restaurant "You do massages dont you"
    I told her "NO, I do not". Customers were in the area at the time.
    She said the man came in asking for the woman who does massages out of her home and she couldnt think of anyone so she asked her supervisor and they decided to give him my name. I do not do massages out of my home and I do not need for a bunch of men to think that I do.
    Soon after I was aproached by the General Manager who asked me if I did massages I replied "NO" she asked if I had dated anyone who may have started this rumor and I replied "NO"
    What should I do to prevent this from turning into a hostile workplace environment ie:restaurant customers asking for me to take them home for massages. The other employees brought my name into the situation without a reason to do so.

This isn't a hotsile environment. At best it is a case of mistaken identity or a misunderstanding. Since you have told them that you are not a massage therapist, I don't see why it should come up again. If it does, just tell whoever asks that they have the wrong person.
    I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

It is very hard to take someone to court over something that might or might not happen in the future.
      Not everything that makes you mad, sad or uncomfortable is legally actionable.

I am not now nor ever was an attorney.

Any statements I make are based purely upon my personal experiences and research which may or may not be accurate in a court of law.

Comment

Hopefully this will blow over. In the meantime if you are asked if you do massages, just tell them no - wrong person. No hostile work environment here though.
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

See, I have the opposite problem.

If I offer someone a massage, they call the police. Well, okay, first they vomit and THEN they call the police.

Oh well.
          Not everything that makes you mad, sad or uncomfortable is legally actionable.

I am not now nor ever was an attorney.

Any statements I make are based purely upon my personal experiences and research which may or may not be accurate in a court of law.

Comment

Originally posted by cyjeff View Post
            See, I have the opposite problem.

If I offer someone a massage, they call the police. Well, okay, first they vomit and THEN they call the police.

Oh well.
            BWHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
            I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Betty3 View Post
              Hopefully this will blow over. In the meantime if you are asked if you do massages, just tell them no - wrong person. No hostile work environment here though.
              This could move over into HWE if the subject of massages continues. I'm not talking about a licenses massage therapist type of massage but rather the wink-wink type of massage.

I think I would put it in writing to my managment that I do not do massages and ask not to refer anyone to me about that subject. If management does not stop employees, then we are moving in the direction of HWE. And I said moving in that direction, not that it necessarily had crossed the line yet.
              I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have.
              Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by waitressinmich View Post
                I am a waitress and one day a man came up to me and told me that a server on first shift told him to come to me I am probably the one he was looking for.
                When he explained that he was looking to get a massage from me I told him that I do not do massages, but I could bring him coffee or soda.
                I went immediately to my supervisors and told them about the strange encounter. The next day when I went in I went to the girl who told him to come to me and she loudly said in the restaurant "You do massages dont you"
                I told her "NO, I do not". Customers were in the area at the time.
                She said the man came in asking for the woman who does massages out of her home and she couldnt think of anyone so she asked her supervisor and they decided to give him my name. I do not do massages out of my home and I do not need for a bunch of men to think that I do.
                Soon after I was aproached by the General Manager who asked me if I did massages I replied "NO" she asked if I had dated anyone who may have started this rumor and I replied "NO"
                What should I do to prevent this from turning into a hostile workplace environment ie:restaurant customers asking for me to take them home for massages. The other employees brought my name into the situation without a reason to do so.
                I think you may be making a mountain out of a molehill. I think the situation is a bit bizarre (the man coming into a restaurant and the server telling him you may be the one he's looking for) but this isn't sexual harassment and it's not an HWE. If someone is stupid enough to ask you about this again, tell him or her firmly (and in an exasperated voice) that you do NOT do massages, and then turn around and walk away.

That ought to be the end of it.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                Working...
                X