This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question California

i have a question about sexul harassment. i worked for a company and helped develop a new job position. i knew that once they hafd the job on the billet that it would be mine. obvioulsy i had been doing it for 2 years already. when the job got on the billet i flw back to SC. but things were really wierd. i heard through the grapevine that they were astonished at what i wore. i wore a white bluse and back slacks. anyway, my svp called and he told me the main issue was that i have a figure and what i wore accentuated my figure. and that when girls who are in the choir show up dressed inappropriately they ask them to put arobe over themselves as to not make any of the men 'stumble' i have to tell you that i was shocked to hear such a thing. it wasn't my job performance but that i may make men 'stumble' . let me put in context that i was not by any stretch of the imagination dressed like a hootch. things have gone terribly down hill at my job since. now i'm out on disability and they're even fighting that.

is that cinsidered sexual harrassment?

"Stumble"? Is this a religious organization? I've never heard that term in this context outside of church.

Having said that, though, the employer CAN set what they feel is an appropriate dress code. OTOH, are they looking for muu-muus? I'm not trying to make light of this situation, honest, but it sounds a little flaky to me.

However, it doesn't rise to the level of sexual harrassment that I can see.
    Last edited by Pattymd; 01-12-2008, 01:11 PM.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Telling you that in their opinion you were dressed inappropriately? No, that is not sexual harassment.
      The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

yes, patty it is a religious company. which is why everything surprises me even more. everything seems so backwards. i was dressed just fine. there wasn't a thing wrong with the way i was dressed. the thing that stuns me the most is they take issue with the way i was dressed - when there are so much larger issues at hand. go figure.

Comment

The question is not whether you thought you were appropriately dressed. Obviously you did or you would not have dressed that way.

The question is whether THEY thought you were appropriately dressed. If they did not, then they are entitled to tell you so. It is NOT sexual harassment.
          The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

How long ago was this? Your other posts paint a very different picture about why things went downhill that have nothing to do with how you dressed for an interview. Which is it? It really doesn't help you at all to give us only part of the picture on multiple different posts. We can only comment on what you tell us. If you want anything close to sound advice, you can not only share what you think will give you the answer you want.

I will say that I have never met an employee who upon being told that they are dressed inappropriately for work, agreed with me.
            I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

I'm not surprised, then. Obviously they have a more conservative opinion of what is "appropriate" than you do. If you choose to remain there, you're going to have to dress in what they deem "appropriate", not what you deem "appropriate".
              I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Seems more like sex discrimination to me, if anything. What is the dress code for males to ensure that women don't "stumble?" Wearing slacks is provocative when women have figures?

Nonetheless, I doubt if it's worth pursuing.

Comment

It's a Biblical thing.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                  Working...
                  X