This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 Day Work Week/Holiday Overtime Pay

I am looking for ammunition to support an argument against what I believe to be an “unfair practice”.

I understand that Federal regulations regarding overtime pay are based on a 40 hour work week.

I am a non-exempt permanent employee of a private Arizona corporation.
    I am in the minority in my department who work a regular schedule of four 10-hour days.
    The majority of the staff works five 8-hour days.
    All of us do the same work and carry the same job titles.

Here is the official policy excerpt from our Employee Handbook:
    “Any employee required to work on a company-recognized holiday will, at Company discretion, either be given another day off within a one-week period, either before or after the recognized holiday, or will be paid time and one-half in addition to the regular holiday pay.”

When one of my regularly scheduled work days falls on a company observed holiday, I work 10 hours and am paid 8 overtime hours. Those employees who work a five day week and work 8 hours on a holiday are also paid 8 hours of overtime.
    Should I be one of the fortunate few who are allowed a holiday off, I will be paid 8 hours for that holiday and 38 hours for that week unless I “make up” the 2 hours that week.
    If I am out sick for a day or take a vacation day, I am “charged” 10 hours against whichever leave entitlement is applicable.

Can anyone suggest a reference or a “line of reasoning” which would support my contention that this is an unfair practice.

Thanks.

It is only unfair if it's percieved that way. It's quite likely that co-workers on the 5 day a week schedule would love to have the 4 day schedule instead, and because they couldn't have it, it's unfair.

There is no employment law that can support you either federal or in the state of Az.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
    Working...
    X