Can my employer disregard my availability? Pennsylvania

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can my employer disregard my availability? Pennsylvania

My employer last month asked me several times if I would be able to work Saturdays. I had originally declined and told him that because of my availability that was established last Fall due to classes, I would not be able to. He then waited a week and told me that I would be working Saturdays from that point. I had sent an email to him to confront this issues and he replied that we would have to look for someone to get trained for my position. My hours on top of my college workload are 40 hours, being in class all morning/day and then being at work until midnight every night Monday - Friday, but I was being paid for extra knowingly by the employer because of our arrangement. The previous worker was paid the same and only had to work Monday through Friday from 8 - 4, but because I am more reliable than her, it is as though I am being punished for it. He stated that because I was being paid more than 40 hours that that is why I would have to work Saturdays, and I replied that he could cut my pay to the 40 hours rate, but nothing was done since then. The idea of me working Saturdays had subsided, but this past weekend, he forwarded the phones to me and forced me to work Saturday and in a recent email stated that he will be forwarding the phones to me on Saturdays from this point on. It is just him and myself in the office and because he is my superior, I have no one else to confront besides his boss who is rarely around. I feel as though no matter how much I turn it down, he will still force me to work Saturdays until I have to quit.

Unless you have a binding contract that specifies that you only work Mondays through Fridays, an employer is free to change your schedule to meet business needs. I know it's challenging to be go to school and work a full-time job simultaneously, but if you're looking for a law that says you can refuse a schedule change, it doesn't exist. What the law does say is that the employer has to pay you for all hours worked, including those on Saturdays.
    I am not able to respond to private messages. Thanks!

Comment

The bottom line is it is your employer's decision whether to require you to work Sat. or not. (unless you have a binding employment contract to the contrary)
      If you don't work as requested, you can be disciplined up to & including termination. Sorry.
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Originally posted by Marketeer View Post
        Unless you have a binding contract that specifies that you only work Mondays through Fridays, an employer is free to change your schedule to meet business needs. I know it's challenging to be go to school and work a full-time job simultaneously, but if you're looking for a law that says you can refuse a schedule change, it doesn't exist. What the law does say is that the employer has to pay you for all hours worked, including those on Saturdays.
        Thanks for the info...I tried quitting in the very beginning because I didn't think my schedule would work with hours, but the owner assured me they would work with my schedule. The place is pretty lax and they kind of make up rules as they go, so getting a written agreement was kind of impossible. Thanks again

Comment

You're welcome. Sorry it wasn't what you wanted to hear.
          Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
          Working...
          X