Wow New Mexico

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wow New Mexico

I work for an electric company as a residential jurnyman. Three weeks ago I was told that we picked up a new contractor and that I was going to be the one on his jobs. I was informed that my pay was to be cut in half on this project. After the completion of each house I'm expose to recieve a bonus, that depends on how fast I get each house completed. I was already in the middle of a solar project and being pushed to get it done so I could move on to this new project. Then when I started the new project I pushed threw going into overtime, 53 hours in totle for that week. When I went to turn in my time my boss said he couldn't pay overtime on the new project. Well now its a week past completing one house and I still havn't recieved a bonus. Is all this legal?????

Are you an employee? Did you file out a W-4? Are taxes withheld from your payments?

Assuming all of those answers are "yes", then the answer is maybe complicated. There is a federal law called FLSA. That law requires paying at least the federal minimum wage (averaged on a workweek basis) on an overtime premium for all hours worked past 40 in the workweek. FLSA says nothing about your bonus or your normal rate. If you have a federal MW or OT claim, you can make that claim with federal DOL.

Your state in not my state. I have no idea what what state labor laws (if any) NM has. Maybe NM labor law cares about your bonus and maybe it does not. I do know that it is likely that you could attempt a Common Law claim through small claims court or (via an attorney) through a general court action. The issue is whether NM has DOL for state law wage claims and whether NM cares about claims outside of a MW/OT context (some states do, some states do not).
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
    Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

NM does have a wage complaint/claim form but it notes nothing about unpaid bonuses. You might have to file a court action.

http://www.dws.state.nm.us/pdf/WAGECLAIM-Alb08.pdf
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
      Working...
      X