This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can a company choose not to pay overtime? California

Ok so i got paid for 32 hours one week when i only worked 24 regular hours and 4 ot hours..Mon-8hrs,Tues-10hrs,Weds-10hrs =28. id rather get paid the ot then get regular hours..can they do that?

24 regular hours and 4 OT hours comes to the equivalent of 30 regular hours. They paid you MORE than they needed to. Yes, they can do that.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

They "technically" did pay you OT.
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

To answer OP's original question (title): No, a company cannot choose to not pay overtime. In most instances (there are some exceptions for certain industries), non-exempt employees in California receive OT (time and a half) after 8 hours in a day OR 40 hours in a week. There are also certain provisions for double time. There's no double-dipping; if you get OT for daily hours, those hours are not counted again if you work over 40 hours in the workweek.

That said, as the other posters noted, you actually were paid more than the law requires for the 28 hours you worked (based on the schedule you posted).
        While I may work for lawyers, I am not an attorney. Comments I make are based on my working experiences and should not be interpreted as legal advice.

Comment

Agreed. The laws (FLSA and CLC) use the phrase "at least". If the employer pays more then is required, no violation. I have never used this method myself, but some employers use the highest rate of pay in the pay period (instead of the weighted average) to calculate Regular Rate of Pay for the overtime calculation. It means that you have an easier calculation that sometimes overpays the employee. If this was the 1960s, having that easier calculation could be a big deal, even if it does involve overpaying overtime. Back in the 1960s, using the highest pay rate in the period for RRP was a pretty common practice. And the FLSA regulations were specifically written to not interfer with using this method.

Seeing how this is 2011, and computers have been around for a long time, it strikes me as somewhat silly not just getting a program that knows how to get the right answer (weighted average). There has not been a serious change in the federal overtime rules in a long time. And while CA has daily OT, CA also uses the federal RRP calculation method as is. Plenty of time for payroll and time accounting programs to learn how to do basic math. But there are a lot of strange employers out there. Some of them seem to be very attached to using non-standard (and occasionally illegal) overtime calculation methods for some reason.
          "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
          Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
          Working...
          X