This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weekend travel and time off to compensate Wisconsin

I think I know the answer to this but want a second opinion (and third, and fourth too!). I am an exempt employee, although I do not feel my job duties really qualify my position as exempt. I was asked to assist another department and go on a business trip. I agreed, and was asked if I would be able to travel on a Sunday. Assuming I'd be able to take a different day off in exchange for traveling on Sunday, I agreed. I just got my plane tickets and I am traveling early afternoon on Sunday and returning late evening on Wednesday. I asked my manager if I'd be able to take a comp day and take Thursday off. I was told no.

I believe the company does not legally have to give me the day off or any time off as I am an exempt employee. However, as an exempt employee, shouldn't I have the freedom to come and go more freely, as long as I have completed my duties? For example, if I need to leave an hour early one day, my manager makes me skip lunch or come in early to make up the time. Currently, business is extremely slow, so much of the time I am sitting around without anything to do, so why should I have to make up time as an exempt employee?

As an exempt employee, you work whatever hours/time your employer
    tells/requires you to. You get paid a regular fixed weekly salary for working this
    required time. You don't have to be given any extra time off or extra pay no
    matter how many hrs. you work. You have to make up time because your employer
    tells you to.

You get paid based on your job title/duties.

You said you don't believe you qualify as exempt. What is your job title & what
    are you duties in detail. What kind of business do you work for? (not actual name
    of busi. though)

Thanks.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

my company has an interest in mortgages. when a homeowner wants to get a loan modification or do a short sale, their bank needs to approve it and then send it to my company to see if we agree. I use guidelines that have been provided and determine if the deal is a good one and either approve or deny it. There is a small amount of decision making, but the decisions are based on very structured guidelines.

A position similar to mine (at the same company), with similar responsibilities (and pay grade) just recently was changed from exempt to non-exempt. Apparently a lot of people received back pay because of the OT they had been forced to work prior to the change to non-exempt.

Comment

It certainly sounds like could be non-exempt - check back for other opinions.
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Sounds non-exempt based on what has been said. Of course, we have not heard from your employer, who will likely say something different. And the actual decision is made by the government, who does not care even a little bit what people on an Internet website think. More over, the government is required to listen to both parties before making THEIR decision.

- You cannot be Exempt under the Outside Sales exception because the courts have issued a number of rulings saying otherwise.
          - You cannot be Exempt under the Executive exception unless you have people reporting to you. If you do, then that is THE exception the employer will want to try.
          - Which leaves the Administrative exception. Not impossible but also not likely. If your employer wants to claim that is THE ONE, then they will describe your duties differently then you just did.

http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/fairpay/main.htm
          "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
          Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
          Working...
          X