X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Betty3
    replied
    There are some exceptions to the max. amt. of time you can be required to work for minors & certain occupations such as long haul trucker or airline pilot. (or if you have a binding employment contract limiting the # of hrs. you can be required to work)

Leave a comment:

• cbg
    replied
    Regardless of whether you are exempt or non-exempt, no, there is no limit to the number of hours or days you can be required to work. Regardless of exempt status, the employer, not the employee, sets the hours of work. The only difference is that a non-exempt employee gets overtime, but the employer sets the hours of work for both.

NO state prohibits an employer from that you work six days a week. Seven states, none of them Vermont, requires that you be given one day off a week. Finally, only two states, neither of them Vermont, limits the number of hours you can be required to work in a week/pay period.

The only thing that exempt employees are exempt from is overtime. They are still subject to ALL other policies of the employer.

Leave a comment:

• ollieboy
    replied
    Thanks for the fast reply! I only mentioned exempt to acknowledge that I don't expect overtime pay, but I guess my real question narrows down to what constitutes a work week: 40 hours, M-F, 7 days, etc. If I'm exempt (from overtime pay) and salaried, then is there no real limits on hours and days worked in a week, that they can mandate I work?

Leave a comment:

• Pattymd
    replied
    Yes, the company is allowed to require you to work on Saturdays. Being exempt does not mean the employer cannot specify days and hours of work and Vermont law, from what I could find, does not prevent employers from requiring even 7 days per week.

Leave a comment:

• ollieboy
    started a topic Mandatory Saturdays? Vermont

Mandatory Saturdays? Vermont

I work as a sales rep for a major cable tv company. I am exempt, salaried, and have full benefits. For the most part, I work from my home, as do the other reps, so that means we all have pretty flexible hours, although we are required to work 40 hours per week. Obviously, we all work more than 40 due to the effort it takes to make sales quotas. Because of our exempt status we're not compensated for hours over 40, but this is no issue for us because we're well paid when when our quotas are met.

Lately, our team has not been meeting regional standards, and my manager has required us all to work Saturdays until further notice. Is the company allowed to do that? If they said we had to work Sundays could I forced to work a 7 day week?

Thanks in advance for your help.
The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
Working...
X