This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alabama Overtime Question

If I file a 1099, am I entitled to overtime?

The business is ran as an hourly. All the employee's punch in and out and earn xxx amount per hour, be we get 1099's at the end of the year.

From what you have posted, your employer is either ignorant of the law or blatantly ignoring it. I see no validation of you as an IC. Unless there is something VERY major that you are leaving out, you should be receiving a W-2 and yes, you should be receiving overtime.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Nothing major.

I worked for his bro-in-law who closed shop and hooked me up with this guy. I've been with him a while, but only recently have I been questioning some of the MO of the business (stupid on my part).

He hired me...not contracted me. I've never signed a single piece of paper while there that has to do with employment.

We do not get OT pay, can't leave during lunch, have no taxes withheld (which makes April a blast), no insurance of any kind, are told we will have to fix jobs on our own time if something goes wrong (although I refused to do this when it came up)...the list is really long and growing as to the things we deal with, which has brought about this research I'm doing now. The reason I'm still there is that the money is good for the area I am in, and I'm working toward something better...but thats going off subject I guess.

If something came about would we, as employees, have to be reimbursed for the unpaid OT and (back when we had it) workmans comp that came out of our checks?

Comment

go back to your other thread and answer my questions, ok?
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Also see http://www.laborlawtalk.com/showthread.php?t=211954
          Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

I think our fine moderator is going to combine the threads tomorrow.
            I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Oh ok...I was just trying to keep things in the right place....haha.

Didn't wanna create a rawkus on my first day here....

Comment

The effort is appreciated. But the two questions are tied together so it'll be easier for the responders if I combine them.
                The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                Working...
                X