This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wrongfully fired New Mexico

I recently got hired for a office manager and I received no training the whole place was a mess!! Upon hiring I was told about one of the girls who stole from the company before and is a drug user. I reported that i noticed her coming in high on the job and let my regional manager know who told me to keep and eye on her. I guess the calls became too much when I told her about the insorbordination she kept doing towards me. Finally my boss decided to fire me and told me over my cell phone that the office has never had that many problems and that employees were complaining of me. I never got one warning she didn't tell me that this drug user who stole money from the company had a problem with me she has retaliated against me because she wanted my job and was always rude and disrespectful I walked into a time bomb situation can she fired me just like that in the state of new mexico? I notice some laws being broken while I was there did I get too close and expose those things they covered up? This is clovis new mexico by the way

What laws did you notice being broken?

Who did you expose/report them to?

Thanks.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

wrongfully fired

the laws that I felt or think that might have been broken was that they had a set of keys that stayed right by the clock in clock out clock that went to the cabinet the np's used to distribute medications anyone and everyone had access to the closet of meds. Any employeed had access to confidential files the key was kept in the front desk so if you wanted to any employee could look at anyones old file that had worked there and see all of there contact information and ss#'s they were locked in a file cabinet but the keys were available to anyone. I also would see urine samples and blood sugar test sticks and urine sticks being thrown in the trash a plain plastic bag and not being stored in biohazard bags which I felt was against OSHA. I kept reporting the things that I saw wrong to my big boss and she fired me and claimed that I called her too much about the things that was going on in the office and their were too many complaints not to my knowlege that other employees had against me.
      Last edited by dial703; 10-31-2008, 05:37 AM.

Comment

Sounds more like they expected you to act like a manager and take care of these things and not just call someone else to fix it for you. There is no law requiring the keys be kept in any particular location and it isn't illegal to allow others access to them. That is a management/company call, not a legal one. If you didn't like the keys being out, why not put them someplace else? I'd get awfully annoyed if I haired a manager and everytime something was wrong in their store they called me about it. If I wanted to manage everything going on in that store, I'd do it myself.

If others were improperly disposing of materials, as the manager, I'd expect you to correct them and make sure they were following protocol. That is pretty basic and not something that should require intervention from those higher up. If you see Susie try to put a needle in the wastebasket, stop her and tell her to put it in the sharps container. Problem solved. By reporting things higher up, you were basically telling them that you were not able to handle it as a manager, which is a very good reason to find a new manager.
        I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

I did correct the employees

I corrected everything that I saw wrong but when I told the big boss I felt the one drug user that needed to be fired because I suspected she was stealing she wouldn't let me fire her told me she needed to keep her because she knows the office now if I have the authority to hire and fire why would I manage an office where there is theiving going on. Plus it doesn't matter how annoyed you got if I was new and no one walked me through anything just threw me in the office Tammy had to be available so that I could reach her and ask questions. I don't think it was wrong that I called. Annoyed or not

Comment

It doesn't matter that you felt you handled the situation appropriately. The higher ups did not. If you took care of the problems, then I'm not sure why you reported them. What was there to report?

If you had the authority to fire someone, do it. If not, then you need to manage the best you can.

Firing you because they were unhappy with how you managed the office isn't even close to a wrongful termination. Neither is firing you because or reports of problems you fixed. Wrongful termination means that you were fired in violation of some law, not that it was unfair or contrary to how you would handle the situation.
            I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

There is no law requiring the employer to "walk you through" the job. You were hired with the expectations that you had prior experience and knew how to do the job functions of an Office Manager in what I'm assuming is some form of medical or lab facility.

Trust me, I feel your pain. I got "thrown into" a similar management position, abeit the veterinary industry. I had limited retail management experience in the past, and was only out of technician school two years. I had to learn a WHOLE LOT on the job, and teach myself the coping skills necessary to manage and confront team members I felt were violating policy. Heck, I even had to WRITE some of that policy myself after doing extensive research and determining what the proper way to do something was, and train the team on that SOP.

Sounds like you got into an employment situtation that was way beyond your experience and abilities to cope. I'm sorry it didn't work out. There are great management resources available online, and forums like this are great resources to ask questions about how to deal with team member infractions and to ask advice as to what sort of policies are legal, not legal, and how to present them.

I'm still learning whole lots of new things all the time!

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
              Working...
              X