This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• California OT laws (California)

I work regularly 8 hours and 30 minutes daily and about 43 hours per week.

I'm am not positive but per CA labor laws should I be paid for all time worked after 8 hours daily and any time over 40 hours weekly?

The company I work for tells me that I get either or. So if I get paid for the 3 hours over 40 weekly, I do not get paid for any time worked over 8 hours daily, and vice versa.

Do I get both OT for daily and weekly or just either or?

Thanks

You count the overtime once.

Let's say you work 8.5 hours every day, five days a week.

You would receive .5 hours overtime for each day.

Your weekly total would be 42.5 hours, but the overtime was taken care of with the daily OT.

Now if you were then required to work four hours on a sixth day of work, ALL of that would be overtime, even though you did not work more than eight hours in the day (and, thus, had no daily overtime).
    Senior Professional in Human Resources and Certified Staffing Professional with over 30 years experience. Any advice provided is based upon experience and education, but does not constitute legal advice.

Comment

Once an hour has been counted toward daily overtime, it is not eligible toward weekly overtime. So if you are working 5 days a wk., you would get no add'l. overtime over the daily 30 min. OT. (You would not get paid OT twice - the over 8 hrs. a day OT & the over 40 hrs. a wk. OT.)
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

I have another CA overtime question.

If I am scheduled for a 9 hour shift, and decide to take sick time instead, can I only take 8 hours of sick time?

If I am scheduled for a 9 hour shift, and work 8 hours of my shift, but have to leave, would I lose that last hour of pay?

Comment

oops, i was not done...

Does the law state how sick time has to be given? If I work a 9 hour shift, and leave after 2.2 hours, do i have take 6.8 hours of OT? Or is that up to the individual company in CA?

Comment

That's strictly up to the employer. The law does not address usage of sick time to that extent.
            I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

And OT is a function of hours actually worked, not hours scheduled to be worked.
              "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
              Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
              Working...
              X