Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

tip pooling in restaurant, including manager,dishwasher,cooks legal? Washington

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • tip pooling in restaurant, including manager,dishwasher,cooks legal? Washington

    I am just wondering since I had worked in many restaurants but never been asked to share equal tip with cook until now.

    When I was hire, I have been told that I have to share equal tip with cooks, dishwasher, sushi chefs, cashier,servers,bartender (bartender can keep cash tip but have to put credit tip in the poor with server) and 8% would go to manager. (In each shift I have to share with at lease 9 people which not much at all.)

    Is this legal in Washington State? How can I find it out?

  • #2

    Tip Pooling: The requirement that an employee must retain all tips does not preclude a valid tip pooling or sharing arrangement among employees who customarily and regularly receive tips, such as waiters, waitresses, bellhops, counter personnel (who serve customers), busboys/girls and service bartenders. Tipped employees may not be required to share their tips with employees who have not customarily and regularly participated in tip pooling arrangements, such as dishwashers, cooks, chefs, and janitors. Only those tips that are in excess of tips used for the tip credit may be taken for a pool. Tipped employees cannot be required to contribute a greater percentage of their tips than is customary and reasonable.
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
    Philip K. **** (1928-1982)


    The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.