Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

Not getting paid after giving 2 weeks notice? Washington

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Not getting paid after giving 2 weeks notice? Washington

    I plan on giving a 2 week notice to my company on december 15, with my final day of employment to be Dec 29. I expect that after I give notice, my company will immediately "let me go" as I am going to a competitor. Does the company have to legally pay me through Dec 29? If not, what would be the point of even giving notice and just quitting on the spot?

  • #2
    The employer is free to accept your resignation immediately and does not have to pay your for the duration of your notice. It's the risk that everyone runs when they resign from a job.

    The advantage of giving two weeks' notice over quitting and walking out is 1) giving notice gives the employer the option of paying you for the two weeks voluntarily (many employers will) and 2) not having the employer say, during reference checks, "Him? He just up and walked out one day and totally left us in the lurch."
    I am not able to respond to private messages. Thanks!


    • #3
      not getting paid after giving notice

      I gave my notice yesterday, meet with my boss this morning and since I had decided to move on after 3 and 1/2 years, I gave her up to 3 weeks, however she chose not to take them so this day was my last day. I still feel I did the right thing and tried to do what I was taught. In her position I would have wanted someone to give me notice as well. Accepting it or not was her deciision. I did my part.


      The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.