This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time Clock Changing

The supervisor at my (part time) job has recently posted a memo to the employees at the site. In the memo it states that "Breaks are the appropriate time to use the bathroom." Meaning that they will penalize you for taking a bathroom break without clocking out on one of the allowed breaks.
    I was wondering if this was legal. To require that if someone is to use the bathroom they have to wait until they take their break.

Another thing regarding this is something I am most definately is illegal. I would appreciate some links to the official Utah law web address that states this. The problem started when I overheard two of the supervisors talking. They were saying that they were taking time off of employees time cards for taking bathroom breaks. They were doing this without telling the employees it was happening. Waiting until after the employee had clocked out for the night so they wouldn't see the change occur.

I was very disturbed and angered at this deciet so tomorrow I am going to make a complaint. However, I wanted to see the actual laws so I could have some backing to my complaint.

Thanks for your time.

Utah does have laws requiring meal breaks or rest breaks for adult employees. See here:
    http://laborcommission.utah.gov/Utah...2006-22-05.pdf

OSHA requires a "reasonable" amount of time to use the restroom, but that's all. The employer may require that the employee use the restroom at the proscribed time.

Now, having said that, any breaks of under 20 minutes must be paid according to federal law.
    http://www.dol.gov/dol/allcfr/ESA/Ti...9CFR785.18.htm

Violations of the above can be reported to the state Labor Commission, including claims for the time docked in error.
    Last edited by Pattymd; 05-11-2006, 06:19 AM.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
    Working...
    X