This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Utah Civil Law for Shoplifting

I need some advice. My husband took a pair of clip on sun glasses from a Sportsman's Warehouse in Riverdale Utah. He put them in his pocket and forget to pay for them.
    Well they looked at the tapes over the weekend and Monday afternnoon he was contacted by a policeman. The policeman asked him some questions and then asked why he left the store and did not pay for the sunglasses. They were $14.99. After a while my husband told the Officer that he was sorry and was not sure if he took them or not. My husband then found them in is pocket and then asked if he could call the store and pay them for the sunglasses.
    The worst part of this is my husband wear glasses than darken in the sun, he had a eye infection and the light was bothering him. But I do not think the store cares to here this. It looks like all they want is to make so money off a person who made a rather stupid mistake.
    Well we were told that it will cost us $ 264.99 for this mistake. They will let us pay $ 44.17 til this is paid off.
    My question is: Why is the amount so high? Do we pay this and just wait for them to charge him in a crimal case, Or do we return the glasses and the amount we owe for them with a note telling the store we are sorry. It looks like they want to make him pay for the other people who shop lift, is this how they get the money back?
    I have tried to talk to a few attorney's but they want money up front.
    Please e-mail me with some ideas for what to do.

I have removed your e-mail address; it is a very bad idea to have that posted. Getting your address targeted by spammers is the least that can happen to you.

You are in the wrong place; this forum is for employment law questions. You will need to post this on the Criminal Law forum.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
    Working...
    X